18-mile Hole, Cann River

Barry Kirsten

18-mile Hole, Cann River

Postby Barry Kirsten » 06 Jun 2021, 12:19

Inspired by Maris' Cataract, Mossman River recently, I dug this one out - a small fall and swimming hole on the Can River in East Gippsland. There's something very soothing to the soul, I think, in water and waterfalls, probably my favourite subjects to photograph. This one from 1986 was on 8x10 FP4 developed in D7 pyro. The print is on Gallery Grade 3, developed in the softer working Ansco 120 formula. Toyo 810G, 480mm Apo-Ronar at f/22.
Attachments
Cann River 18 Mile 360 web.jpg

Mick Fagan

Re: 18-mile Hole, Cann River

Postby Mick Fagan » 06 Jun 2021, 12:43

Barry, one great image there, the level of detail is staggering on what I presume is a low resolution web upload. Mainly due to you using a process lens and one that is around the best of the best. That said, with 8x10" film you are at the limit, or slightly surpassing the limit of perfect coverage with that lens on a normal camera.

I really like the detail of the small splashes, the print must be wonderful. I haven't used Ansco 120 for decades, I love multigrade paper.

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 06 Jun 2021, 14:36

Hiya Barry,

Great to see you post again!

Weren't they the days when would schlepp gear like that around and think notthing of it? And just look at what a visual feast such effort delivers. As MIck says, it's all in the detail — through optics, materials, and knowing what to look for and how to put four lines around a slice of the world.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 06 Jun 2021, 14:55

Thanks Mick and Walter.

I love that thought, Walter - 'putting four lines around a slice of the world!' Yes, it's what we do, but I've NEVER thought of it like that. It strikes me as an interesting way of approaching visualisation.

And oh, how I pine for the days when I could tote an 8x10 - and a monorail, no less!

I'm pining to get out and about with the newly finished 5x7, but we're in lockdown again!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 07 Jun 2021, 03:33

Thanks Barry,

I guess it's not just a slice of the word but a slither of the continuum of time to boot.

It just ticked over 2 months last week that I've been getting everything modified and finalised with gear in order to give a full reply.

One hitch which I'll mention: I had been gifted a Toyota Coaster bus with hydraulicc chair lifts at the back. It was to be registered in my name so all I'd need is an interested party to pick it uup, pick me up and off we'd waving sheets of film at anything that appealed. Well. long story short: it was parked up in the Blue Mountains where it was being used by the guy giving it to me and it got stolen! No sign of it yet. Prolly gone and strippped for parts.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 07 Jun 2021, 07:19

Walter, what a bugger!!! I remember a couple of years ago when your van was broken into and a veritable ute-load of your LF gear stolen, nothing of which was ever recovered. I'm sure you'll hang in there, as nothing seems to phase you. But it's time you got a few breaks. Cheers.

Return to “Places”