Umbagong cascade

John Power

Umbagong cascade

Postby John Power » 13 Jun 2021, 11:51

Umbagong, axe sharpening spot near my place.
Not often that we find axe grinding grooves in rock other than sandstone, but there isnt much of that about in the ACT.

This place feels special and it was nice to spend some time setting up and putting effort into taking a decent pic of it. I don't think its perfect, but there are some things that I like about it... the movement of the water contrasting with the stillness of the rest of it, and along with that, the kind of dreamy look of the water and the very bog-standard Belconnen grass and park land around it.

Anyway, yesterday was the first time for me with a spot meter, a Miolta Spotmeter F. I took a highlight and shadow reading, averaged and then applied foma 200's fairly solid reciprocity adjustment to it... first time accounting for reciprocity, too! It all worked out ok.

Horseman L45
Schneider Symmar-S 135mm @F45
Fomapan 200

ID-11 (1+3, 16mins)
Epson v850

ImageUmbagong cascade by J P, on Flickr

Walter Glover

Re: Umbagong cascade

Postby Walter Glover » 13 Jun 2021, 17:38

Lucky you John,

Having something as alluring as that close at hand. Lush tonality on the wet platform.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

John Power

Postby John Power » 13 Jun 2021, 18:47

Thanks Walter, yep, definitely feel lucky to have this close by!
Amazing, though, how few people know about it. I live and work within 5km of this and I'd say less than 1/3 of people I talk to about it know its significance or even that it exists.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 14 Jun 2021, 13:21

John, that really looks velvety, if you know what I mean. The highlights in the wet area look like liquid light shimmering off of the surface, really nice.

Mick.

Return to “Places”