North West Tasmania

mark.darragh

North West Tasmania

Postby mark.darragh » 16 Aug 2021, 16:21

Morning cloud over the incredible geology of the North West Tasmanian coast

Arca Swiss Universalis/Field hybrid 4x5, Nikkor 90mm SW f4.5
Lee yellow no. 8 filter
Kodak T Max Tmx 100 @ 64 developed in XTOL R (I think?)

Taken on a beautiful calm, clear autumn day. Oh to be able to get back there soon.

Walter Glover

Re: North West Tasmania

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Aug 2021, 03:30

What an enticement to shoot that 'incredible geology' is Mark,

I hope there where you were stood standing was a good deal more accommodating to the feet. Both your own and the tripod's. The relief seemingly all the more uncomfortable in contrast to the glassy still ocean.

Does the Arca Universalis just have base-tilt or is it an 'Orbix' type of arrangement? Was a bit of swing necessary also? It looks the surface dropped away to the left there.

You're so lucky to have been there with time and opportunity to take advantage of the place. I only ever got to both Tassie and NZ on. paid briefs to churn out the usual visual haberdashery for myopic Picture Editors.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

mark.darragh

Re: North West Tasmania

Postby mark.darragh » 24 Aug 2021, 09:16

Thank you, Walter.

I’ve tried to highlight the quality of light in this. Even though the air is so clear and it was very sunny, the light in Tasmania has a softness about it which we just don’t get on the mainland with the sun higher overhead.

The ground underfoot was equally uneven I’m afraid, extra care was needed to avoid slipping or tripping.

No swing on this, just front tilt. The Universalis has friction swing and Orbix geared tilt on the front. The back is only has geared shift and rise/fall. Unless I need to go really light or I think I might shoot digital too, I swap the back standard out for an F- Line rear standard so I have rear base tilt and swing. It’s an unusual beast but it’s become my go-to. I like the flat front of the Universalis, makes it much easier to reach in to make adjustments on the lens.

Return to “Places”