Approaching North Goulburn .......

Walter Glover

Approaching North Goulburn .......

Postby Walter Glover » 21 Aug 2021, 00:17

Shortly after this the property was fenced off. A 4x5 cropped to 6x12.

Over the years I've had an on-again, off-again relationship with 6x12 as a useful tool. How do you feel about it?

Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

RoganJosh

Re: Approaching North Goulburn .......

Postby RoganJosh » 21 Aug 2021, 18:08

Never been a big fan of panorama myself though some people must love it as they are willing to pay big money for stand-alone pano cameras. I like the composition but I'm left wondering what the rest of the sky would've looked like? Seems a shame to crop wispy high clouds like that.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 21 Aug 2021, 21:56

Thanks RoganJosh,
I hear you, and we're on the same page in many ways on that. It was a while ago that I shot this and the limited coverage of the lens a a tad of swing and tilt along with a lot of rise resulted in some crappy vignetting up top and crop was the most facile remedy.
Commercially I shot a lot of 6x12 on roll film, particularly of domestic interiors. but in my B&W shooting it was always 5x4 or10x8. And, of course coming from moving pictures a 2:1 ratio was quite a second nature world view made accepting a compromise a bit less obtrusive.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 03 Oct 2021, 15:30

I have always liked a well thought out panoramic landscape image, doesn't matter whether it is from a cropped neg, or a genuine panoramic camera. So my vote is this is great, also, it is quite eye catching.

I toyed with the idea of picking up a 6x12 back for my Shen Hoa 4x5" camera, even had one in my hot little hands at a photo flea market. Then I really thought of where in the bag would it fit and then after realising I didn't have spare room, what would I need to take out of the bag to fit it in? I do have a Horizon 202 35mm swinging lens camera, picked it up new around 25 years ago, it gets used sporadically, but when I do use it, it is fun and if one is adventurous sometimes quirky images are made.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Oct 2021, 00:04

Cheers Mick,

Back in the day I played a number of panoramic cameras: the Wide-E-Lux, the Horizon, etc. and I loved them. I remember using the Wide-E-Lux to shoot a Tina Turner concert the camera right on the apron of the stage with an entire row of leggy dancers captured at the peak of high kick, the timing effect of the sweep just added to the rock'n' roll. Is never any reason to not use any tool at our disposal, in whatever way we can.

I find the 6 x 12 back is quite another beast however. It allows you to use any lens at your disposal and you can use all your lives movements. In cine terms 2:1 is not really all that pano. Even the new broadcast television standard of 16:9 is wider.

Did you buy the bacK or let it go? I used them all the time commercially with built environment magazines and layout artists loved it, they loved getting the width without all the ceiling and floor.

I've still got a Horseman 612 back that a mate is fixing the light trap on amd a Sinar Zoom II. One advantage of of the Zoom is the fact that the film comes off the feed spool and remains flat until after the film gate so if I have a lengthy period between shoots, as I expect I might, the film will not get a ridge in it.

I'm told by Australia Post that's that's my new wheelchair-friendly Sinar from the US is at Chullora mail exchange and could be delivered as soon as today plus a lot of the restrictions on us residents might be lifted as soon as the 11th, Happy days!!
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 04 Oct 2021, 15:12

Walter, I didn't buy the 6x12 back, really tempted at the time but eventually gave it back to the seller at the flea market. Funnily enough, when I decided not to purchase it. He verbally attacked me telling me I was silly to not purchase it, as I wouldn't see another one that good for the same price. I wasn't sure whether this was a sales technique he normally employed, or whether he really thought I was making a mistake.

Hope you get your Horseman 6x12 back light seals fixed. You are lucky getting something from the USA via the postal system. Last I heard the USPS had permanently stopped deliveries to various countries, Australia included as there are no commercial passenger aircraft flying between our two countries at the moment.

As for lockdowns, we are struggling at the moment down here in Vic, infections are now steadily rising as more and more people are seemingly ignoring the lockdown. I hope you are able to be free, so to speak, shortly.

Only ever looked at the Widelux cameras, quite expensive for a hobbyist photographer, always thought it would be a neat format. One eventful day I was in the Melbourne Camera Exchange checking out stuff during lunch, as you do. When I overheard the shop assistant mention to the owner that the last Horizon camera, still hadn't been sold. I understood that they had bought a plethora of them and it seemed that they had saturated the market with what they had sold, with one left in stock the owner said asked what they currently had on it, a price was mentioned and his reply was to drop up to $200 if you need to to move it on. I bought it a few minutes later and have never regretted it one bit.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Oct 2021, 16:42

Mick,

A word to the wise, I notice that the current price for horseman 6x12 backs ranges from about a grand to $1500. I don't know how much the one at the flea market was but I'm guessing you might have turned out a bargain flea market pricing being what it often is. Your report of the Vendor confirms my long held belief that fleamarkets might actually get their name on the people who sell at them.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”