Wattles on Mt Ainslie

John Power

Wattles on Mt Ainslie

Postby John Power » 08 Sep 2021, 16:07

I was very excited yesterday to receive a new (to me) lens, so got up early this morning for my allowed exercise and put it to use.

The lens is a Fujinon SW 90mm, a bit wider than my only other lens at 135mm. Coverage is much more accommodating of movements, and I'll post what I think is my best bit of movement-making here too.

Anyway, I struggled to really frame anything, and rather than a wide lens I probably could've done with a 250 or 300 in this shallow gully full of wattle... but I can always crop, and thats what I did here to get a frame that I'm happy enough with. The fog was fantastic, though the hoped for rays of sun breaking through weren't to be.

Horseman L45, Fujinon SW 90mm, Kodak Ektar

ImageWattle chopped to pano by J P, on Flickr

John Power

Re: Wattles on Mt Ainslie

Postby John Power » 08 Sep 2021, 16:20

here's another from almost the same spot... its a wonderful area at this time of year.

Keen to hear people's thoughts on composition here! I was thinking the veil of blossom near the camera might be a nice frame but maybe its a bit heavy hanging there? My thoughts are that this could've been a fair bit better, but I'm not finding any crops that make it so.

ImageWattle on Ainslie by J P, on Flickr

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 09 Sep 2021, 02:29

Sorry John,

I wrote about these pics and by the time I hit 'SUBMIT' I had to sign in again. When I did the text had vanished. Bugger! At 2:30 it'll have to wait for another time.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 11 Sep 2021, 11:43

These are classic near-far compositions with the close in blossoms showing individual wattle flowers and the far trees showing wattles en masse. A cute and fancy art word for this style is repoussoir where an off-centre foreground object directs the viewers gaze into things more distant.

John Power

Postby John Power » 12 Sep 2021, 10:03

Maris wrote:These are classic near-far compositions with the close in blossoms showing individual wattle flowers and the far trees showing wattles en masse. A cute and fancy art word for this style is repoussoir where an off-centre foreground object directs the viewers gaze into things more distant.

Thanks Maris! Do you reckon they did the job? Or, does your gaze wander in? That is definitely what I was trying to achieve, but when I developed and scanned em, I just wasn't sure if i made it happen.

Return to “Places”