Postby Walter Glover » 08 Oct 2021, 20:56

Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Re: QANTAS Group Finance Flying Carpet

Postby Mick Fagan » 10 Oct 2021, 08:26

Perfect framing.

The ceiling semicircle makes this what it is.

Maris

Postby Maris » 10 Oct 2021, 12:57

Well composed Walter; perfect, as usual. Mick you are not wrong about the ceiling semicircle - it "makes" the room.

I've photographed some unremarkable interiors and the problem of the blank ceilings talking up half the picture never away until someone told me to screw my Linhof Master Technika upside down on the tripod. The the camera is then placed very high just under the ceiling and the lens rise converts to lens fall. Result is a nice map of the floor space and not so much dull ceiling.

John Power

Postby John Power » 10 Oct 2021, 18:06

I learn so much from you guys.

This looks perfect to me, Walter!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 10 Oct 2021, 22:50

Thanks guys,

One of the things that really appealled when I first saw this as part of a commission was the dialogue between the distended rhombic forms of the carpet and furniture on the floor and the quadrant of a circle suspended above. The bonus gift when I saw the processed film was that the lines in the timber flooring, together with the perspective exaggeration of the 47 mm lens, looked reminiscent of comic book lines of velocity. I've never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

A funny thing about the Technikas, in the old days Linhof marketed (at customary Linhof prices) a flat cast rod with an inverted tripod mounting to facilitate suspending the camera upside down on the tripod. By the time they got to the Technika 2000 you could remove the accessory shoe from the top of the camera to reveal a 1/4 inch screw allowing suspending the camera upside down, thus achieving lens fall. The silly thing is that all the time if you mounted the camera on its side you could use the lateral shift slider to get both rise AND fall.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

John Power

Postby John Power » 11 Oct 2021, 06:59

" The bonus gift when I saw the processed film was that the lines in the timber flooring, together with the perspective exaggeration of the 47 mm lens, looked reminiscent of comic book lines of velocity."

I agree with those lines of velocity! Especially to the right.

Return to “Places”