'UNDERWATER' Cinema Alley, Wetherill Park, N.S.W.

Walter Glover

'UNDERWATER' Cinema Alley, Wetherill Park, N.S.W.

Postby Walter Glover » 26 Oct 2021, 01:10

Lens rise an upside-down Scheimpflig ans stretching SBT.

Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: 'UNDERWATER' Cinema Alley, Wetherill Park, N.S.W.

Postby Maris » 30 Oct 2021, 09:31

What a spectacular rarity: upside down Scheimpfug! I've seen texts that suggest the roofs of caves are suitable for this unusual camera movement but in practice the top of a cave is usually so dark that focus is irrelevant.
Fortunately users of Speed and Crown Graphic cameras have reverse Scheimpflug always at hand because the front tilts backwards not forward.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 30 Oct 2021, 09:48

Thanks Maris,

All too often I found that compound tilt and swing were called for, not just in 'product' shots, but also in architecture which is not always about planes but just as often can be about a 3-D space.
In this case the dark cave roof is the horrid and ubiquitous patterned public-space carpet.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 01 Nov 2021, 13:14

I agree with Maris, the rarity of that ceiling lighting is out of this world.

Is that a neon light installation?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Nov 2021, 04:42

Thanks Mick,

All up with a double line of undulating neon tube running the length of the corridor spanning eight cinemas there might be the best part of a kilometre of blowing glass. Elimination levels are aided by the silver panelling on the ceiling but the low lught level is indicated by the overexposure of the chloride safety EXIT signs. there is a modicum of help from the back-illuminated posters on the walls.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 02 Nov 2021, 13:30

Thanks Walter, that is a real lot of neon lighting, must have been done at mates rates one would imagine.

Speaking of mixed lighting, when Fuji released their first four layer colour negative film we had a rep visit extolling the virtues of the colours one could get under some unbelievable scenarios. We were a bit sceptical, but we tried the samples given and were pretty astounded.

From then on whenever a photographer went on a shoot indoors, they always packed some of the Fuji film. Using Kodak Color Print film we very quickly had 4x5" trannies on the light box needing none to very little colour balance for magazine reproduction. That film really was a game changer in the colour fidelity sphere of photography.

I still have half a box of Color Print film in my darkroom refrigerator.

For those coming late to colour films, Kodak's Color Print film was used, in this instance, under the enlarger with the original C41 camera film in the enlarger and the Color Print film under the enlarger on the easel. Once exposed, the standard C41 process was done and you ended up with a colour corrected transparency film on your light box ready to go to a magazine or newsprint printer/publisher.

Return to “Places”