Brew, Chew & View

Walter Glover

Brew, Chew & View

Postby Walter Glover » 30 Oct 2021, 10:07

Tables added to cinema seating at Hoyts. As if the sound of rustling chip packets isn't sufficient distraction.

Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Re: Brew, Chew & View

Postby Mick Fagan » 01 Nov 2021, 13:12

Very nice, I don't ever remember picture theatres looking this spic and span, as for carpeting, Jaffas just don't roll on them.

Who chose the colour theme, Alvin Purple? :D

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Nov 2021, 05:18

I'm with you there on the Jaffas, Mick,

Maybe just like Alvin Purple its all a bit Fantasy Land. Smoke screen for the grab for ya cash. The exterior is fake art deco, but the interior is a concrete box lined with curtains to hide the speakers and to deaden the reverberation. I grew up in an eraI grew up in an era when the interior of cinemas were highly decorous. I guess that becomes uneconomical doing eight rooms instead of one.

Did you ever see the series of 10x8 shots by Hiroshi Sugimoto of American cinemas illuminated by the screen during the projection of an entire movie? Of all the books I had to flog of a few years agothis is one of the ones I miss the most.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 02 Nov 2021, 13:02

Never heard of Hiroshi Sugimoto, nor of his pictures, however a few minutes of web surfing and I came up with some of the cinema pictures, quite interesting, thanks for the information, I'll explore that further.

Also nice to see in one of the cinemas, an organ on the side.

One of the cinemas I went to as a youngster, had an organist slowly coming from the bowels of the cinema as she was playing some classical music. I at that stage of my life had no idea what classical music was, but the people somewhere around where I sat, said words to the effect, "classical music, no copyright."

From then on I tried to always go the cinemas that had an organist playing the organ, always great. A local cinema to our place has an organ and on the odd times there is a special event, like the release of a movie, they have an organist playing. A few years back when a silent movie was on, the organ was being worked hard to great effect by a very young organist; great atmosphere and enhanced by the original intertitles

Metropolis would be the movie of choice for having an organist giving the audience an earful as well as being so unlike any other sci-fi movie. We were in Germany about 9-10 years ago and Metropolis was showing in Frankfurt on a very limited time frame. Unfortunately we couldn't get to see it, apparently it was put together from reels kept around the world. My brother in-law was trying to get tickets for him and his wife, I don't know if they did get to see it.

Return to “Places”