Blinman Town Hall

Bazz8

Blinman Town Hall

Postby Bazz8 » 06 Feb 2022, 08:46

Main street all set up crowd of onlookers at this crazy guy with the 8x10
Kodak 2 D
So frustrating when the shot is good but the development is wrong
1:100 LC29 10 mm water 990 dev a little over 60sec
Over agitation is easy to see in fact one of the worst.
we learn by mistakes here is one of mine.
Attachments
scan0003.jpg

Maris

Re: Blinman Town Hall

Postby Maris » 07 Feb 2022, 12:00

Bazz8, your picture of Blinman Town Hall is both stunning and dismaying.
The camera work is perfect, straight up and down, beautifully symmetrical composition, enough quirky bits - trees, flagpole, leaves above the roofline - to entertain the eye. Exposure is spot on.
But I weep when I see that recalcitrant X-ray film is failing to reward you for the talent, imagination, vision, and energy, you are lavishing on your photographs.
Just travelling, searching, and sustaining yourself in the field with an 8x10 camera is both challenging and costly even if no pictures can be found. By what grace of personal composure can you do all the work and cover all the expenses while having a potentially treacherous film in the camera?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 07 Feb 2022, 14:22

Bazz,

I can relate to such a turn of events might make you feel. My dear old mum had a very Victorian (era) expression fo what Minties might refer to as 'moments like these, she'd say, "Wouldn't that rip the gusset out of your nightie?"

It's a wonderful shot, and I applaud your experimentation but, having committed to the financial and emotional investment, perhaps it might be a worthwhile running an additional sheet or two of 'regular film and regular soup as a 'belt and braces' security. Having said that, I think there's something rewarding. in a square crop including the flag pole but excluding the 'natural' edges ...... with a bit of toning perhaps.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Bazz8

Postby Bazz8 » 07 Feb 2022, 16:39

Thankyou for your kind words Walter and Maris, I have some 8x10s arista 200 in the work flow, some around fence lines
on the nullabor plains, 800km from home to revisit the fences.
I have the x-ray down pat and developed a few with predictable results, it is a process.
This week Is my last week before delivering classes so my posting will suffer, a typical week is 300
emails. The joy of teaching.

Return to “Places”