Utility building

Oscar
Site Admin

Utility building

Postby Oscar » 26 Feb 2022, 15:09

This image is one that I had high hopes for at the time but I just couldn't make it work. For example there was a large obstruction just out of shot on the right-hand side, and I should have exposed & developed differently to avoid blowing out the clouds. But I couldn't go back to reshoot, this building was demolished shortly afterwards.

Chamonix 45F2, Rodenstock 150mm, Ilford FP4+.
lfa1.jpg

Bazz8

Re: Utility building

Postby Bazz8 » 27 Feb 2022, 07:35

Bugger the sky would be easy to burn in without the vents
what grade print Oscar?
Perhaps flashing the sky, would give the sky more development and perhaps gd 4-5
to see if the bricks and doors/windows pop a bit.
I read an article about placing clear acetate sheet over the pring or neg
and colouring the roof/building area red to mask the entire image except the sky.

Those dilema shots
Barry

Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » 27 Feb 2022, 09:09

From memory, it was printed at grade 3 on multigrade RC. (I only use fibre once I know it's going to be worth the effort). The clouds were quite forboding that day, but with this negative even with lots of sky burn-in it just is a grey mess, all detail has been lost.

This was metered by hand with an incident meter and shot & developed at box speed, which is where I went wrong. Another approach would have been to use a graduated ND filter when taking the shot, but as you say those vents make it hard to be "neat" with that approach.

But it's ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them :)

Maris

Postby Maris » 27 Feb 2022, 12:46

Oscar, that pale blank sky goes perfectly with the austere form of the Utility building. There is glorious precedent for this kind of photography. See the Dusseldorf School style and Bernd and Hilla Becher's mastery of industrial subjects.

Return to “Places”