From a More Innocent Time

Walter Glover

From a More Innocent Time

Postby Walter Glover » 31 Jul 2012, 23:21

4x5 negative scanned and digitally prepared & presented.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

alexn

Re: From a More Innocent Time

Postby alexn » 01 Aug 2012, 10:14

Another great image Walter.

I find it funny how the years and someones interpretation can change the meaning of a symbol...
http://www.facebook.com/alexartphotography - Alex art photography on Facebook
http://www.alexartphotography.com - Alex Nicholas Fine Art Photography

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 01 Aug 2012, 11:48

I remember first seeing that symbol years ago outside it's more recent context and was quite horrified to see it. It really made me feel uncomfortable.

Funnily enough, I feel the same when I see a Union flag/jack - being a pom, when I see a union jack back in the UK, it tends to be wrapped around the shoulders of angry racists as they've pretty much laid claim to the flag and so when I see it flying outside people's houses or on the street, it also makes me feel uncomfortable, which is a shame.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Aug 2012, 07:31

Strangely enough Welly,

When I have been in England and see the Union Flag flying all over the place it has always struck me as a battle standard — which I guess it was. Our Australian flag, by comparison, does not have that impact (maybe because I am so used to it and it has become benign) but looks instead like a corporate identification. I guess it is still ultimately a rallying point.

Amidst the hype of the current events in London I guess the flag, any flag, is at its most potent, but I am not a nationalist and believe we would be better served by symbols of unity rather than symbols of tribal division left over from the past.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”