An overnighter in KNP

John Power

An overnighter in KNP

Postby John Power » 29 Jan 2023, 10:46

Hi team!
Took the speed graphic (along with too many other cameras!) out for a hike on the Main range and Kosciusko National Park these past couple of days. It yielded some large format shots that I'm pretty happy with! All with Symmar-S 135mm, orange filter and agfapan apx100 in HC-110, dil. B 6.5mins at 22C.

ImageTarn in Kunama cirque by J P, on Flickr

ImageMt Townswend approach by J P, on Flickr

ImageSummit boulders on Mt Townsend by J P, on Flickr

ImageRuins in Kunama cirque by J P, on Flickr

ImageCascade in Kunama cirque by J P, on Flickr

ImageBlue lake by J P, on Flickr

Barry Kirsten

Re: An overnighter in KNP

Postby Barry Kirsten » 29 Jan 2023, 14:40

Great work John. It brings back many, many memories from when I used to visit Kosciusko. Sadly I'm too old now but the spirit is still willing. However I can visit KNP through works like yours and Maris' and by periodically reviewing my own images. Thanks for posting, and please keep going back there while you can!

John Power

Postby John Power » 01 Feb 2023, 13:47

Barry Kirsten wrote:Great work John. It brings back many, many memories from when I used to visit Kosciusko. Sadly I'm too old now but the spirit is still willing. However I can visit KNP through works like yours and Maris' and by periodically reviewing my own images. Thanks for posting, and please keep going back there while you can!

I'll certainly be back whenever the opportunity presents itself, Barry. Great to hear you've spent good times up there! Each time I go I wonder why I don't visit more often. I'll try to get back to the same campsite with the kids before this summer is through.

Maris

Postby Maris » 03 Feb 2023, 11:25

John Power, that is a really nice sequence of Main Range views. It is not often that someone summons the determination to haul a large format camera up there. My best effort was getting a 8x10 to Blue Lake - but only once.

Mt Townswend approach is a dramatic entree to the final ascent. Townsend is so different to Mt K, jagged instead of smooth, and given enough bad luck it is possible to fall off it.

Ruins in Kunama cirque is an evocative picture enhanced by the brooding clouds in the background. It is a sad place were Ms Roslyn Twynam Wesche was killed when Kunama Hut was swept off its foundations by an avalanche in 1956.

Thank you for showing these pictures.

Return to “Places”