Lake Doonella, Western Sky, Afternoon.

Maris

Postby Maris » 25 Mar 2023, 13:07

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.3cm X 16.4cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tri-X Pan Professional negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 75mm f5.6 lens and #25 red filter.

Mick Fagan

Re: Lake Doonella, Western Sky, Afternoon.

Postby Mick Fagan » 12 Apr 2023, 09:13

Looks dark and foreboding, helped no doubt by the skill of the printer...

Nice one Maris.

Maris

Postby Maris » 19 Apr 2023, 12:31

Yes Mick, it was one of those slightly ominous afternoons that build to a late thunderstorm. Careful printing held the clouds near the horizon but the extreme lens rise and image fall-off darkened the top third of the picture. I don't have one of those fancy centre-dark filters like you keep for your famous 65mm lens.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 19 Apr 2023, 15:23

I thought, 75mm lens, 4x5" camera, darkening in the top corners, very even across the bottom of the photograph, must have given it a bit of front rise.

Regardless, this one certainly stands out.

I agree with you about the fancy centre graduated filter, it has made the 65mm lens super easy to use, even with the lens coverage being around 10mm bigger than the film on the long corners, exposing without the centre filter is completely out of the question as far as I'm concerned.

For a couple of years I have been waiting for the 75mm version of the SWD f/5.6 65mm Fujinon to appear. Late last year I decided that having a 75mm with just reasonable movements, is essentially the same as having a 65mm with practically no movement; one just crops.

Return to “Places”