Molesworth Church and Flock

Mick Fagan

Molesworth Church and Flock

Postby Mick Fagan » 23 Apr 2023, 17:34

I spied this as I was leaving Molesworth, it is located on the old highway, or should that be on the old road as even today it isn't a highway. The weather had been quite atrocious, which is being kind as it had been raining for around 20 hours. Having gull wing type doors on the box on the tray of the truck, gave protection from the misty rain.

Set things up and was very happy with the ground glass look, then exposed a sheet. Unfortunately things are a little soft(ish), which I'm tending to believe could have been the mist in the air. Regardless, I thought the fact that the church was surrounded by it's flock, was a nice touch and regardless of the weather I was going to expose some film.

Shen Hao HZX45-IIA
Ilford FP4+ 4x5" sheet film. D76 1:1
Fujinon 250mm f/6.3 lens at 1/8 at f22.

230009_Molesworth_Anglican_Church_And_Flock_FP4_Shen_Hao_250mm_18mm_Front_Rise_No_Filter_1-8_f22_1250hr_005_Web.jpg

Maris

Re: Molesworth Church and Flock

Postby Maris » 30 Apr 2023, 12:00

Well seen Mick. Christ Church Anglican Church looks so simple and serene amid its sheltering trees. It may have been built in 1869 as part of the 19th century drive to have a church in every parish and no further away than a convenient horse powered journey.
The flock of sheep in the churchyard keeping the grass down is a fine symbolic touch. Alas, no shepherd, white robed and carrying a crook.

Mick Fagan

Re: Molesworth Church and Flock

Postby Mick Fagan » 30 Apr 2023, 15:17

Being a Church, I didn't expect to see someone with a crook... :D

I was intrigued with your mention of 1869, I'm wasn't so sure. To double check I found that the new Molesworth Anglican church opened in 1899 and found a couple of references here and there to that effect. Maybe the old church disappeared or got burnt, which happened sometimes in that area, and this current building is the result.

Getting back to the image itself, I sort of think the slight softness may have occurred due to me not locking the front standard after focusing; I was in a real hurry due to the impending weather change being for the worse. Such is life.

Return to “Places”