Cloud Print

RoganJosh

Cloud Print

Postby RoganJosh » 17 Dec 2012, 11:30

My first photo post onto the internetz :P

Here is a 16x20 print I made for my sisters 21st. Taken in moreton bay on 4x5 tmax with a nikkor 210mm.

IMG_7228.JPG
IMG_7228.JPG (247.88 KiB) Viewed 5032 times

On my intensely bright laptop screen it looks like the whites are blown out but in the print they are detailed and below paper white. I may have made the pic too small but as a point of scale reference, you may still be able to see moreton island and a little boat travelling under the cloud.

Lachlan717

Re: Cloud Print

Postby Lachlan717 » 17 Dec 2012, 11:44

Nice shot, well seen and well captured.

I am absolutely addicted to clouds. Thunderheads in Summer, low-sun, angry clouds in winter. I struggle to shoot without them.

Maris

Postby Maris » 17 Dec 2012, 17:31

RoganJosh wrote:My first photo post onto the internetz :P

Here is a 16x20 print I made for my sisters 21st. Taken in moreton bay on 4x5 tmax with a nikkor 210mm.

IMG_7228.JPG

On my intensely bright laptop screen it looks like the whites are blown out but in the print they are detailed and below paper white. I may have made the pic too small but as a point of scale reference, you may still be able to see moreton island and a little boat travelling under the cloud.

Wow! Your sister is fortunate to gain such a dramatic piece. But do tell more. Making a 16"x20" is no trivial thing. What is it? What did you do ? Did you do the matting and framing?

Exposing 4x5 Tmax (100 or 400?) behind a Nikkor-W 210mm is only the first crucial step in producing work of this magnitude. The rest of the journey has many challenges.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 17 Dec 2012, 22:22

Maris, Printed on epson gloss using an epson k3 inkjet. I hate not having full control over the printing process alas I am poor and dont own my own printer so it was done at a lab, though Martin @ brisbane digital images was nice enough to put up with my controlling shiz and even let me finalise the image on the lab computer to make sure it was perfect. I was very surprised by the quality of the k3 print, I cant even imagine what a peizography k7 print would look like :shock:

As for the lead up to the print; tmax 400, red filter, top of film plane tilted backwards to excess which made the viewpoint seem lower and the top of the cloud seem higher, n+2 dev, drum scanned. Personally its not a favourite of mine, I think it lacks personality that some of my other photos have but I am just glad and surprised that someone (even a family member) would want a print of mine on their wall.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 18 Dec 2012, 07:34

Great looking image, I can see why she likes it.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 18 Dec 2012, 07:47

Great looking image, I can see why she likes it.

Maris

Postby Maris » 19 Dec 2012, 09:18

RoganJosh wrote:Maris, Printed on epson gloss using an epson k3 inkjet. I hate not having full control over the printing process alas I am poor and dont own my own printer so it was done at a lab, though Martin @ brisbane digital images was nice enough to put up with my controlling shiz and even let me finalise the image on the lab computer to make sure it was perfect. I was very surprised by the quality of the k3 print, I cant even imagine what a peizography k7 print would look like :shock:

As for the lead up to the print; tmax 400, red filter, top of film plane tilted backwards to excess which made the viewpoint seem lower and the top of the cloud seem higher, n+2 dev, drum scanned. Personally its not a favourite of mine, I think it lacks personality that some of my other photos have but I am just glad and surprised that someone (even a family member) would want a print of mine on their wall.

Thanks for those details.

I have a notion that the worth of a picture in an art context is related in part to the accumulated weight of all the decisions the picture maker went through to get to the end point. Illustration, as opposed to art is dead easy: shoot, scan what comes back from the lab, and post the file on the net. "Cloud" transcends illustration, and gloriously too. Forgive my fantasy but imagining "Cloud" in hand made gelatin-silver invokes pleasant horripilation.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 19 Dec 2012, 13:33

Cheers Maris for the kind words, and I agree with what you have said here
the worth of a picture in an art context is related in part to the accumulated weight of all the decisions the picture maker went through to get to the end point
, I like to think that many of the best photos from last century were the most technically difficult to capture and required a larger artistic input than ordinary photos.

And yeh i'd love to see it printed traditionally, heck i'd love to see any 16x20 printed traditionally from 4x5..im still yet to lay may eyes on anything larger than a 8x10.

Return to “Places”