Moonrise, Lake Weyba

Maris

Moonrise, Lake Weyba

Postby Maris » 13 May 2013, 10:03

Moonrise, Lake Weyba

Gelatin-silver photograph on Kodak Polymax Fine Art photographic paper, image size 19.6cm X 24.6cm, from a Tmax 400 8x10 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens and #25 red filter.
Titled, signed, and stamped verso.

As usual with moonrises things get hectic. The light level is falling so the exposure needed to get a hint of foreground detail lengthens. But it can't get too long otherwise the man-in-the-moon face burns out and the blank disc looks like an underexposed sunrise. Too long an exposure also delivers an oval moon due to the earth's rotation. Remember, the moon appears to move its own diameter across the sky in 2 minutes! Then there's the need to use a small aperture on the lens to get enough depth of field for a sharp foreground and a sharp moon. The right balance between the variables lasts about 15 seconds. I was on site an hour before the moonrise and everything was set up according to a moon position predicted in astronomical tables. It's all to tricky to leave to luck.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Moonrise, Lake Weyba

Postby Alastair Moore » 13 May 2013, 11:16

Nice work Maris. Looks like it was shot on a pretty still evening! I've been getting frustrated lately shooting some macro-esque images and trying to get a capture without the wind ruining my shots by disturbing the subjects. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get around this, that would be well appreciated!

Maris

Re: Moonrise, Lake Weyba

Postby Maris » 13 May 2013, 15:00

I've been known to carry a big golf umbrella as a windbreak for in-the-field flower shots. A well made umbrella can resist a lot of wind pressure and it comes in handy if the weather turns rainy.

There is another technique ascribed to the famous Paul Strand who was doing time exposures in a forest. An approaching gust of wind could be heard coming before it arrived. Strand would cap his lens while the gust passed and then continue the exposure when things became still again. The theory is that a tree may have thousands of leaves but every one of them returns exactly to its original position after the wind gust has passed.

Return to “Places”