Different Means, Similar Purposes

Walter Glover

Different Means, Similar Purposes

Postby Walter Glover » 09 Mar 2016, 06:09

Vaulted ceiling of the Chapter House at Wells Cathedral. I had gone specifically in quest of Frederick H Evans' "Sea Of Steps" and was gobsmacked at what the sea of steps actually led to.

Echo of a magnanimous gesture: the streetscape of Auburn in Sydney's west embraces the Gallipoli Mosque which is, to me, our version of Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk)'s verse about Australian diggers:

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives…
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Ataturk, 1934
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Re: Different Means, Similar Purposes

Postby Barry Kirsten » 09 Mar 2016, 15:00

Vaulted ceiling of the Chapter House at Wells Cathedral. I had gone specifically in quest of Frederick H Evans' "Sea Of Steps" and was gobsmacked at what the sea of steps actually led to.

I'm always in awe of the skill of medieval stonemasons and builders. The majestic sweep of the fan vaulting and exquisite detail in the stone tracery take the breath away. The amazing thing is that with few exceptions the buildings not only stayed up, but did so for hundreds of years. Wonderful in photographs, and even more breathtaking to see the real thing. I'm wondering, Walter... did you actually photograph the steps or were you blown away by what they led to?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Mar 2016, 05:42

Thanks barry,

I just haven't made my way through to the Sea Of Steps tribute yet. I'll get there.

Meanwhile ...... Another couple of takes on the same motifs:

A distinctive feature of Wells Cathedral is the 'scissor arch' that separates the nave from the chancel.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 11 Mar 2016, 06:09

A distinctive feature of Wells Cathedral is the 'scissor arch' that separates the nave from the chancel.

It seems that the lighting is unusually good for such places, but I can imagine a lesser result if exposure was not spot on. I'm wondering if you gave generous exposure for the shadows and left the rest to Diafine? Very nice result.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Mar 2016, 10:59

Back when I was in Wells, I would have been using a Zone VI modified Pentax 1º digital spotter and I am sure I'd have found something darker than the organ façade and placed it on Zone 1.

Cheers,
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”