Carrawburgh Mithræum

Walter Glover

Carrawburgh Mithræum

Postby Walter Glover » 12 Mar 2016, 03:13

This is a reconstruction of a Temple of Mithras discovered preserved in a peat bog on private land adjacent to Hadrian's Wall in 1949. Mithraism was the religion of the Roman military and had been adopted while on campaign in Persia. Of course, the empire outpost of Hadrian's Wall was an entirely military operation and so the garrison had its place to worship.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: Carrawburgh Mithræum

Postby Maris » 15 Mar 2016, 14:23

That's a cool Mithraeum; but someone should call a plumber. The drains surely need doing.

Given the times I think I might have gone for Mithras:
Mysterious rituals with initiations and hierarchies.
Secret greetings and handshakes to cement group solidarity.
Bull sacrifices (by others) leading to plenty of beef steaks.
Barbeques, feasting, and drinking, just me and me mates in a well appointed hall.

What's not to like, especially in the bleak north of England a long way from Rome?

Walter Glover

Re: Carrawburgh Mithræum

Postby Walter Glover » 15 Mar 2016, 14:54

Maris wrote:Given the times I think I might have gone for Mithras:

I contend that a huge part of the Western World celebrates Mithras in one way of another, Maris.

have you ever considered how strange for a nation forbidden to consume blood to turn around and drink the blood and eat the flesh of someone? All sounds more than a tad Mithraic to me. A tent maker's son from Tarsus would have been well versed in the ways of the Roman military — after all, who else would be buying huge quantities of tents?

Cheers,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”