Checking Lens Swing

Walter Glover

Checking Lens Swing

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Mar 2016, 11:24

I was intrigued to confirm just how accurately I could set the degrees of swing and the placement of the plane of sharp focus and depth of field using a longish lens. A 300mm is the equivalent of about a 100mm on 35mm.

I also found that I had developed this in Ilford Perceptol diluted 1+3. Perceptol is 100% Metol and used at this dilution gives great acutance.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Re: Checking Lens Swing

Postby Barry Kirsten » 19 Mar 2016, 16:40

An interesting image in its own right. And you obviously nailed the swing.

As a matter of interest, I haven't seen any recipes for Perceptol, but is it similar to D-23?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Mar 2016, 17:16

I have not been able to find my copy of Anshell's Film Developing Cookbook of late Barry so a definitive response is not possible.

BUT, I do know that the Old Yella equivalent was Microdol. Curiously, what I do remember is that Microdot-X differed from Microdot only in the addition of good old cooking salt.

I still have some packs of Perceptol and once all the turmoil has settled I could be tempted to give it a whirl.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 20 Mar 2016, 06:21

Aha ! I found this at http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.u ... php?p=6981

Supposedly from an Ilford worker:

Sodium Tripolyphosphate 3.5 gms
Metol 5.0 gms
Sodium Sulphite anhyd.100.0 gms
Sodium Chloride 30.0 gms
water to 1 Litre
I suppose the Sodium Tripolyphosphate could be left out if SOFT or DISTILLED water is used.

I wonder why it is that many of us are bewitched by the quest for the perfect brew... I've seen some beautiful negatives from simple formulae like D-23, and good old D-76/ID-11, yet I'm always tempted by the exotic. I must say though that I recently mixed up some Pyrocat HD, and can see why so many have taken to it.

Regards, Walter.

Maris

Postby Maris » 21 Mar 2016, 04:31

Which camera, Walter? Accurate lens swing is easy and quick with a well handled Sinar and slower and more finicky with my Tachihara but it's always possible to get there ... eventually.
But look at the picture. What a delicious piece of urban desolation decorated, or should that be defiled, by all the tags!

Return to “Things”