Quartz Veins

Maris

Quartz Veins

Postby Maris » 27 Aug 2016, 08:30

Quartz Veins, Noosa Metamorphics
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 VC FB, image size 24.6cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Plaubel Profia monorail view camera fitted with 10 inch Commercial Ektar lens.

The cracking pattern indicates the quartz intrusions happened before metamorphism transformed the sandstone into quartzite. It's curious that having climbed down a cliff with a view camera I was reluctant to climb back up without making a picture, any picture, maybe even if it's only marginally justified.

Mick Fagan

Re: Quartz Veins

Postby Mick Fagan » 27 Aug 2016, 18:56

Maris, if I had gotten down there with my 4x5" monorail Toyo 45G, I too, would have ensured I at least exposed one sheet of film. To do it with an 8x10" monorail, well.........

Quite an interesting picture anyway.

Mick.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 29 Aug 2016, 13:02

Love that gradation. Burnt in?

Maris

Postby Maris » 31 Aug 2016, 07:54

RoganJosh wrote:Love that gradation. Burnt in?

Two mistakes:

I wanted detail in the quartz veins so I spot metered them and gave an extra stop; should have been an extra two stops. The neg is a bit thin and went out on contrasty paper which exaggerated the gradation.

The 10" Commercial Ektar lens covers 8x10 but with little to spare. It runs out of coverage if front tilt is used to get the deep focus Scheimpflug effect so strong back tilt was used instead. The top of the film (bottom of the subject) was much further from the lens than the bottom of the film (top of the subject), the inverse square law bites, and fall-off results. Mistakes and compromises; so it goes.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 31 Aug 2016, 14:20

Maris wrote:
RoganJosh wrote:Love that gradation. Burnt in?

Two mistakes:

I wanted detail in the quartz veins so I spot metered them and gave an extra stop; should have been an extra two stops. The neg is a bit thin and went out on contrasty paper which exaggerated the gradation.

The 10" Commercial Ektar lens covers 8x10 but with little to spare. It runs out of coverage if front tilt is used to get the deep focus Scheimpflug effect so strong back tilt was used instead. The top of the film (bottom of the subject) was much further from the lens than the bottom of the film (top of the subject), the inverse square law bites, and fall-off results. Mistakes and compromises; so it goes.

Well recovered imo.

Return to “Things”