Boulder, Bald Rock National Park

Maris

Postby Maris » 02 Jun 2020, 15:39

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford MG FB photographic paper, image size 24.6cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Tri-X negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

I know a photograph doesn't get any better even if you work very hard for it but this one hurt. First haul a 8x10 camera up to the top of Bald Rock by following the paint spots. Make sure the new white rubber tennis shoes don't slip on the really steep granite. Shoot the picture when the heart rate settles. Endure a slashing thunderstorm at the summit by lying under a rock ledge. Come down late just in time to meet the search party setting out to look for me. Sheesh, the things people do just for a photograph.

Barry Kirsten

Re: Boulder, Bald Rock National Park

Postby Barry Kirsten » 03 Jun 2020, 14:49

Ah, but what a photograph! Beautifully seen, Maris! To me there doesn't seem to be anything special about the rock itself, but its setting gives it drama and boldness which you've captured and emphasised. I'd say the declaration of a state of emergency would have been justified to ensure the survival and safe return of the negative... and you too, of course.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 04 Jun 2020, 10:43

Very nice placement of the tree, really gives the image a kick.

Are your nice white tennis shoes, still nice and white? :mrgreen:

I would have thought you could almost hide under the bellows of an 8x10" camera, they are certainly big enough.

Working very hard for a photograph, doesn't give you any more greenie points from a viewers perspective. However you will certainly remember taking that photograph; I think that counts more from a personal point of view, regardless.

Maris

Postby Maris » 07 Jun 2020, 09:37

Thank you Barry Kirsten and Mick Fagan for your sympathetic reading of the Boulder photograph and the misadventure that went with it.
About those shoes, they were Dunlop Volleys with white rubber soles as used by building tradies working at roof level. Supposed never to slip. But they are useless as hiking boots, lasted me just one weekend of carrying a heavy view-camera backpack and nasty tripod over rough ground.

Return to “Things”