Art Deco Geometrics

Walter Glover

Art Deco Geometrics

Postby Walter Glover » 27 Dec 2020, 18:37

Malachi Gilmore Memorial Hall, Oberon, N.S.W., designed by Agabiti & Millane and built from 1936 to 1937

Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: Art Deco Geometrics

Postby Maris » 13 Jan 2021, 11:38

I reckon those beautiful Art Deco verticals were meant to be seen like that: vertical stripes, half light, half shade. Again Walter your timing is perfect. A mid-morning shot?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 14 Jan 2021, 20:37

Possibly mid- to late- morning Maris,
Travelling up from Sydney with a bit of a chew 'n brew en route and, as I recall a photo stop at Lowther. And it's a good 2.5 hours driving.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

mark.darragh

Postby mark.darragh » 28 Jan 2021, 08:30

Walter, I'm really enjoying this series of images your sharing with us. They capture a part of Australia which is slowly and quietly disappearing in the name of "progress". I doubt the polystyrene and cement render boxes that are springing up like mushrooms will have the same enduring appeal;)

Reminds me of an exhibition of Laurence Aberhart's early work at the Christchurch Gallery a few years ago. That included a whole series of 8x10 colour polaroids which were pretty special to see on display.

Look forward to seeing more from the archive

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 30 Jan 2021, 20:33

Thanks for your appreciative remarks. I concur conclusively with your observations regarding the current state of play with what we get lumbered with as the 'built environment'.
My pursuit in my personal recreational photography has always been fairly grounded in the 19th Century mixed with a healthy nod towards Walker Evans, the Bechers and the New Topographics. Hugely, trawling through the archives in the present predicament it is most apparent just how much this relentless B&W 'seeing' was an antidote to the colour work I was doing at the time shooting the McMansions of the Windsor Road corridor, cinema and shopping complexes, and the pre-Olympic building burst.
Most of all, like for most of us, it's great fun feeding a life-long addiction to pointing shiny lensws at things while looking at road-side upside down television under a black cloth.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”