Well Deserved Retirement

Walter Glover

Well Deserved Retirement

Postby Walter Glover » 11 May 2021, 13:17

Now safely preserved in the protective shelter on the new-ish Rail Museum at Thirlmere the water tanks and boiler of Shunter 1308 were quite freely accessible to skallywags and the elements on a siding for years. And it appears some of the rust might not have been externally climatic but undrained and stored within the tanks.

Linhof Technikardan 45S, Schneider Apo-Symmar 210mm ƒ 5.6
Kodak T-Max 100, T-max RS, Jobo ATL 2 Plus Expert Drum
Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi

Maris

Re: Well Deserved Retirement

Postby Maris » 13 May 2021, 14:59

Walter, that's a lot of interesting metallic textures. Apart from some trees nicked in a the top and a few weeds at the bottom it's all iron, rusty, shiny, and corrugated. I never realised locomotive 1308 was so worthy of study both famous and also tragic. Planned restoration apparently never happened and the dismantled pieces lie somewhere awaiting resurrection... I hope.

Walter Glover

Re: Well Deserved Retirement

Postby Walter Glover » 14 May 2021, 00:47

Maris,

As you're probably aware, places like the museum are manned by volunteers passionately driven who I'm sure will have done whatever is possible.
Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi

Return to “Things”