Lovers in White Marble, Noosa Gardens, Soft Focus

Maris

Postby Maris » 22 May 2021, 14:17

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford Classic VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.5cm X 16.3cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tri-X
negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF view camera fitted with a home assembled meniscus lens and #25 red filter.

Walter Glover

Re: Lovers in White Marble, Noosa Gardens, Soft Focus

Postby Walter Glover » 23 May 2021, 14:03

Maris,

Somewhat evocative of an Arcadian Rapture. I love it's nod to Pictorialist sensitivities of which I, too, must admit frequent exploits. I was just reminded yesterday, going through old prints from the 60s and 70s when the others in studios I worked at thought it funny that I splurged a king's ransom on glass for the Rollei SL 66 and Leicaflex SL2 then coughed up another fortune for Zeiss Softars to place between the optics and motif.

It was the lens tilt of the SL66 that awoke my yearnings for the view camera and what even greater optical flexibility might afford.

Funny, isn't it the Ansel Adams & Co. should denigrate pictorialism so resoundingly in favour of 'Straight Photography' only to, in turn, be denigrated by the New Topographics for their own flourishes of excess.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”