Wattle and friends

John Power

Wattle and friends

Postby John Power » 09 Jun 2021, 11:01

This was the first LF image that I felt I picked out of an otherwise "same-same" landscape. There are plenty of nature parks around the ACT, and O'connor ridge is a relatively small one, though has great, old trees with minimal undergrowth... great for off-track wandering. I really love how wattles keep the colour going pretty much year round.

This is the full frame, but I have a crop that looks much nicer, less dead space bottom right. I was happy with metering here (incident off the front of the big dead log pointing at camera), and the use of orange filter. Details of capture are in the link there.

ImageWattle tree on O'Connor Ridge by J P, on Flickr

Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Wattle and friends

Postby Oscar » 09 Jun 2021, 18:44

Out of interest, is this a scan of the negative or a scan of a print?

John Power

Postby John Power » 09 Jun 2021, 22:52

Oscar wrote:Out of interest, is this a scan of the negative or a scan of a print?

Hi Oscar, its a scan of a negative. I picked up a fairly battered durst m600 on the weekend and plan to have a go at some 35mm and MF enlargement on the weekend.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 09 Jun 2021, 23:37

Nice one John, and great to see a steady stream of contributions. The regrowth springing up after a calamity is an abundant pause and cause to reflect.

Good luck with the enlarger. How I envy those with the facilities to work in the sound of running water under the ruby glow. A few years ago I sold my last L1200s to Barry Kirsten. The rest of the ephemera (trays, safelights, timer, tongs, pipettes, etc.) went to a mate in Newcastle.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 10 Jun 2021, 09:57

John, I like the composition as it is; sometimes a tight composition is fine, but I think the breathing room you have given to your wattle, has in this instance, worked.

I wonder though whether you considered lightening up the overall image, not by much, maybe 2/10s of a stop or possibly up to 1/3 of a stop lighter?

Mick.

Return to “Things”