Dutch Iris

John Power

Dutch Iris

Postby John Power » 16 Jun 2021, 16:22

These things grow like crazy on our driveway. They are pretty nice!!

I tried for a "middle-ground" focus point on this very 3D subject, the result being a not super sharp anywhere image! But its about what I was hoping for in tone.
Side note: still waiting on some bits for the enlarging process, so no prints (smaller format) yet.

ImageDutch Iris from the driveway by J P, on Flickr

Walter Glover

Re: Dutch Iris

Postby Walter Glover » 16 Jun 2021, 22:23

A nice motif commendably handled, John.

I have a strong drive for the mystique of black on black and white on white tones rolling into similar tones. Limited depth of field can be a useful tool with aiding in transition of form to form, in this case conferring visually that tactile experience of petal on petal. There's a great scope to play with this if the there's repeating new growth to explore. Seek out some of what Paul Caponigro did with still life fruit and fflowers. (not his son John Paul Caponigro)
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

John Power

Re: Dutch Iris

Postby John Power » 17 Jun 2021, 06:14

Thanks Walter, will do.
And yes, I see other images of this sort where a bit of softness plays well with tone gradient, that's a really good point... a lot to think about under the dark cloth!
Hope you're having a good week mate.

Edit: Just had a look, his images are wonderful. I already find myself enjoying darker images. His sunflower from behind is fantastic. Thanks for the tip :)

Return to “Things”