Snow Gum Burl, Infrared

Maris

Snow Gum Burl, Infrared

Postby Maris » 29 Jul 2021, 12:47

Snow Gum Burl, Infrared
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.4cm X19.6 cm, from a 8x10 Efke IR820 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Wollensak 159mm f9.5 lens and IR720 filter.

Walter Glover

Re: Snow Gum Burl, Infrared

Postby Walter Glover » 29 Jul 2021, 21:49

Yet again the ethos of one of my heroes, Minor White, is front and centre here, Maris:
All photographs are self-portraits. ...
What I know of you from your comments over the years is that you don't mind at all striding along the path less trod and you've certainly done that in how you've responded to this unique motif, and ......

One does not photograph something simply for 'what it is', but 'for what else it is .....
The IR treatment of visual elements has made my skin feel the heat of a blazing hot summer day.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: Snow Gum Burl, Infrared

Postby Maris » 01 Aug 2021, 12:39

Thanks for your insights Walter. I remember the "dance" moves for this photograph. The camera was set high to look down on the burl but the ground was so steep that I could not get my face behind the ground-glass. Framing was guesswork which surprisingly turned out ok but unfortunately a bit of camera tilt crept in. Oh, well.

Return to “Things”