Large pile of river sticks

John Power

Large pile of river sticks

Postby John Power » 26 Sep 2021, 08:48

Great morning out yesterday, a mate who is new to photography wanted to see what he could do with his camera. He has a good eye for composition and hopefully he will come out again.

I mucked around with a couple of sheets too, both were ok! Continuing with Ilford Ortho plus film, I like it! But am not really sure what to do about filters... I guess orange will really restrict light transmission and I think as it is I'm getting decent enough contrast and range.

Anyway, same old set up, fujinon SW 90mm, Horseman L45, Benro tripod. I think this was 2s at F32.

ImagePiled right up on the Molonglo by J P, on Flickr

RoganJosh

Re: Large pile of river sticks

Postby RoganJosh » 01 Oct 2021, 11:36

Man I love that Ortho plus it has such a nice look, what made you choose it over Pan film?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 01 Oct 2021, 18:16

Hi John,

It seems you're in good company with the Ortho. I've just been looking at some negatives shot in the 1950s and 60s by Max Dupain on Ilford. Ortho Copy Film as it was called then. They were heritage streetscapes and in that era the Ilford Panchromattic offering was FP3 and HP3 (and HPS). I digress to say that in that time Ilford came in yellow boxes. Which is about where I got on the roundabout.

Do you process by inspection with a ruby red Safelight?
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

John Power

Postby John Power » 01 Oct 2021, 20:42

Happy you like the look, RoganJosh! I chose ortho for a change, and had seen some landscapes taken with it that I liked. I like it for portraits, too.

Walter, I just develop in a tank without inspection. This method (12mins at 1:64 or so, hc-110) was taken from Alex Luyckx. I like his content on developing and developers especially.

Return to “Things”