Confined Basement Lap Pool

Walter Glover

Confined Basement Lap Pool

Postby Walter Glover » 03 Oct 2021, 00:11

One of the very few samples of an architectural shot using the Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 35mm 1:4.5 lens (with Centre Filter) on 6x12. I did not use it much because I found I could get a better result shooting with the Schneider Super Angulon XL 72mm 1:5.6 on 10 x 8 the modified film holder giving 10 x 4.
It was the go to lens when space was tight and nothing else would do.

Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Re: Confined Basement Lap Pool

Postby Mick Fagan » 03 Oct 2021, 15:47

Walter, that is staggeringly good.

The ceiling lights on the right side are still in a straight line; impressive as....

Single stop, or two stop centre filter?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 03 Oct 2021, 23:12

Thanks Mick,

I had absolutely no complaints about the rectilinear performance of rhe lens whatsoever. What might not be apparent is just how narrow the right hand tiled cool surround is. The tripod feet are only just out of shot. The only problem was using it with the Linhof Master Thechnika 2000 with the focusing mechanism on the the inner track make that the bellows for incredibly compacted and, although the image circle would allow a fair bit of rise, it was mechanically not possible.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 04 Oct 2021, 14:42

I didn't know you could get a 35mm lens onto a Master Technika camera, either version! Knowing Linhof I would think it has it's own super expensive lens board which is probably recessed by another 1.5mm over their next wider angle lens, lensboard? :o

My best Japanese almost copy of either of the Technika units, was a Toyo Field metal 45A (I think). A friend had one and was trying to move it on, I borrowed it for a few months with the possible intention of buying it. I just didn't have the money otherwise I probably would have taken it out of his hands. The real limiting factor with any of the metal folding cameras is the ability to take super wide angle lenses; or so I thought until I saw your picture.

I eventually picked up a Toyo 45A monorail, beautiful camera, but unable to do 35mm... 47mm is the shortest and that with a wide angle bellows fitted. It just handles my 65mm with virtually total compression of the bellows and forget any movements unless you wish to pull the bellows out of shape at that compression.

My widest angle lens is a Fujinon SWD 65mm f/5.6 it is superb if using a centre graduated filter, reasonable without a graduated centre filter on the front. Virtually no movements available outside of 7-10mm maximum in any direction though. Works very well on my Shen Hoa 4x5 wooden folder with bag bellows fitted.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Oct 2021, 17:00

Mick,

On right with you on the benefits of the rail camera, or of any folder with an interchangeable bellows. In the commercial days I always had a rail camera for work and a folder as a sort of point-and-shoot. I bought that Technika 2000 at the time because I could and it fitted perfectly with a trip that I did the UK. Getting back home I use it extensively for lifestyle architecture and it was a dream until an Arca Swiss quick plate gave way and it crashed to the ground shattering the castings. I notice now that the quick plates have a screw at either end that prevents that from happening.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”