Up close with one of my favourites

John Power

Up close with one of my favourites

Postby John Power » 10 Oct 2021, 17:47

I really, really like this building, and I think I'm going to spend some time taking a bunch of photos of it.

I missed dead-level here by just a tiny bit, and the vertical lines are diverging as they rise (I think), but I like this pic, how it emphasizes the roof overhang and shows some of the complexity of the external structure. There is a fair bit of textural change in the detail there. I work across the road from this gem and hope to capture many more pics of it in the coming months. There are a few more pics around this one in my flickr stream if you click the pic and follow it over :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_O ... _Belconnen

Horseman L45, Fujinon SW 90mm, Ilford Ortho+ (no filters), Rodinal 1+50 15mins with low agitation. I think this dev resulted in less "crispiness" that I'd noted in some of my previous attempts with this combo, but maintained a good level of sharpness. Maybe I'm dreaming :lol:

ImageCameron building stairs corner by J P, on Flickr

Mick Fagan

Re: Up close with one of my favourites

Postby Mick Fagan » 11 Oct 2021, 08:00

Always having dead level doesn't always work, nothing like having ever widening columns to give a mood to an image.

But as you work across the street from this and expect to continually take pictures of it, that will give you plenty of food for thought each and every time you go there.

With this particular image, I would be thinking of cropping the left side at least to the round concrete column to block the bright background sky. My own choice, because I have some, would be to use Bergger Panchro 400, the shadow and highlight detail it can exhibit is probably pretty well suited to this subject I would surmise.

Nice strong composition as it stands though.

Check out "Gestalt effect", as this building could work for you in that way.

John Power

Re: Up close with one of my favourites

Postby John Power » 11 Oct 2021, 10:44

Thanks Mick!

I'd not heard or thought of the Gestalt effect as it relates to photography, but of course it has a strong presence... interesting stuff! I'm keen to read more about these sorts of compositional impacts, even if I don't think of them explicitly while out shooting, I think it percolates in and has some influence.

Regarding the left edge of the frame, I was trying to show that the building has a walk-over, but you've definitely got me thinking about more isolation in that corner. I'll post more images here as I go... there are so many possibilities!

Return to “Things”