Gong Gong Church

Mick Fagan

Gong Gong Church

Postby Mick Fagan » 03 Nov 2021, 16:23

I was travelling along in winter and just noticed this little church out of the corner of my eye, it was up a slight incline and only visible between a row of old conifer trees for about two road widths. Did a U turn and idled into the church yard and with fading light I quickly made an exposure.

Due to isolation restrictions I haven't been able to get out for the past 3½ months, but yesterday I did some photography and suddenly remembered there was an exposed sheet in a holder. This is a cropped version as I couldn't get any closer as the grass was so wet one started to sink after a few seconds; as for the tripod, I had the legs embedded about 100mm and had to adjust the level a few seconds before exposure.

Exposure information in the file data, D76 1:1 at 22ºC for 15.00"

Fun fact about Gong Gong, at the last census the population was nine.

210006_Gong_Gong_Church_Ilford_FP4_No_Filter_90mm_8mm_Rise_F22_One_Fifteenth_004_Web_.jpg

Walter Glover

Re: Gong Gong Church

Postby Walter Glover » 03 Nov 2021, 21:04

The timing seems perfect Mick, as is everything else. The abrupt slope at the right is the clincher for me, it does something wonderful for rigid row pf windows.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Re: Gong Gong Church

Postby Mick Fagan » 04 Nov 2021, 07:22

Thanks Walter, timing as you mention, is often important with regard to recording outside objects. My first reaction when driving in was to do my usual 45º type of shot with the vestibule being reasonably prominent but with the long side of the church being the dominant feature as it had the light.

However after driving the truck up as high as I could, then quickly assessing the scene, I decided on doing this side elevation view precisely due to the sloping landscape which somehow made the side facade seem a more prominent reason to photograph on its own.

With the glimpses of sunlight happening in ever decreasing moments I was just able to get what I did. I was then going to do my original photograph but the weather closed in with misty rain at first but when slightly heavier precipitation started I packed up underneath one of the gull wing doors of the storage box on the truck.

It is quite an unremarkable building, but being where it is, which is basically part of a large paddock of fenced off farmland, it somehow becomes more remarkable. One wonders as to whether it is used much, but the condition of the little dirt track suggests that there are visitors on a regular basis.

Return to “Things”