Boreen Point, Shed Door

Maris

Boreen Point, Shed Door

Postby Maris » 17 Dec 2021, 11:40

Boreen Point, Shed Door
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.7cm X 19.3cm,
from a 8x10 Fomapan 200 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

No paint and 50 years of weather can cultivate an extravagant carpet of lichens on an old hardwood door except where a trace of zinc from the metal fittings has held it back.

Walter Glover

Re: Boreen Point, Shed Door

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Dec 2021, 02:44

What an absolute treasure Maris,

And only 50 years in the making. My new camera has arrived and it's the keeper so I'll be out just as soon as the Yuletide dust settles and I hope I'll be gifted a find as wonderful.

But it raises a conundrum for me, looking at your work and my own: why does a 300mm on 8x10 work so much better than a 150mm on 4x5?
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 19 Dec 2021, 11:58

Maris, you certainly can pick things out of an ordinary subject. Quite nice rendering of a very weathered pair of doors, the rot setting in along the bottom will no doubt start eating the timber away in the future.

Perfect way to see something so pedestrian, yet at the same time see it differently.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 19 Dec 2021, 12:06

Walter Glover wrote:
But it raises a conundrum for me, looking at your work and my own: why does a 300mm on 8x10 work so much better than a 150mm on 4x5?

I think angle of view is one of the factors in this difference, which I have also experienced. The lens Maris has, is possibly the version with a 69º angle of view, whereas in the same series of "CM W Wide" Fujinon lenses, their 150mm version has an angle of view of 73º.

Another factor I think is that the longer focal length will normally have more inherent compression of the image at any given point before infinity focus. With this look being more to the fore with subjects focused closer to minimum focus, than subjects closer to infinity focus.

Return to “Things”