Z Cell Batteries Again

Mick Fagan

Z Cell Batteries Again

Postby Mick Fagan » 27 Dec 2021, 08:44

Almost two years to the day, I have photographed a pair of flow batteries for the house. Although I took something I was reasonably happy with, in the back of my mind I just wasn't fully satisfied.

In the ensuing two years the batteries have been moved very slightly to accommodate a heat pump compressor in-between, and the two boxes that hold the inverters and other stuff that make it possible to run the house almost completely from solar generation; have been removed from the house wall and placed onto a free standing powder coated aluminium frame.

In the first picture I used my 90mm lens, which was the lens that allowed me freedom to choose my position. In the latest picture taken a couple of days ago, I used my 250mm lens which was only able to be used in one position and then it was a very tight squeeze in-between the foliage and fences.

I also decided to use a deep orange filter to show colour differences more effectively, which I thought may enhance the image slightly better. I certainly think the second picture, with the use of hindsight from the first picture, is streets ahead.

Shen Hao HZX45-IIA, Fujinon 250 f/6.3 1/60 at f/22 FP4+ D76 1:1

This is the new picture which is the same film and developer combination, same camera, but different lens and a filter added, the film, while from another box, is from the same batch number. Both were taken approximately the same time of the day, early to mid afternoon.

210011_Batteries_and_Heat_Pump_Ilford_FP4_100_250mm_F22_Orange_Filter_004_Web.jpg

This is the first picture from two years ago.

190008_ZCells_Finished_Ilford_FP4_No_Filter_90mm_4mm_Fall_14mm_Shift_003_Web.jpg

Edit: this is the first one. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1545

Maris

Re: Z Cell Batteries Again

Postby Maris » 27 Dec 2021, 11:34

Mick, that's a very different still life from the austere and geometric first version. Much more "organic" but again with no overt hint of the power coursing through the system.

The grass at the bottom and the soft leaves intruding on the right are nice framing devices. And it may be a first in Australian photography but I think I also see the arm of a rotary clothes hoist used as an artistic framing device along the top.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 27 Dec 2021, 13:10

Well guys,

I'm not altogether sure of The purpose of the second shot: was it to record the additions and modifications, or was it to create a visual treat?

Given my tendency to go weak at the knees for linearity and minimalism I really like the uncluttered purity of the geometric's in the earlier picture — beautifully achieved with not a skerrick of Lysaght's corrugated legacy. Added to that the drawing of the 90 mm lens, adding diminishing perspective to the sides of the batteries closes the deal for me. Not that that might help your purposes.

Lovely creamy tonality by the way.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 27 Dec 2021, 14:29

Walter, you always cut straight to the core of the image, great post.

In answer to your question(s) as there had been some additions, both actual and configuration wise, the insurance details needed to be adjusted. In the ensuing two years the addition of the aluminium holding frame, as well as the addition of the compressor is best illustrated to the insurance people via pictures and a few words. This was the original intention of taking the picture, the ability to make it as artistic as possible, yet at the same time be a comprehensive visual record, is just what I do. The insurance broker loves our images that we send and whenever we have something new, she almost always asks when are we getting the pictures.

I do agree that the first picture was geometrically there, so in the second picture I decided to try something else, long lens and the orange filter. I must admit I almost gave up as I was stuck inside a bottle brush bush, prickly as anything. Added to that, I was hard up against a fence and it was so tight I placed the lens upside down so I could set the f/stop correctly.

You mention Lysaght, were they connected to Gilbert Toyne the original rotary clothes line inventor, of which, Hills took advantage as Toyne couldn't afford to patent his invention?

I too like the tonality, It was the reason for the filter.

Maris, the addition of the rotary clothes line was on purpose. It may have been possible to delete it, but it was problematic, so I decided to use it and placed the arm where it was in the frame, which seems to work. The vegetation framing was also a deliberate choice if I wished to use this focal length and at the same time encompass everything.

As for the power coursing through the system, each of those batteries holds 10kWh of energy and at this time of the year are invariably full near the end of the day with a combined 20kWh of usable energy. Suffice to say, we effectively use nothing from the grid for about eight months of the year.

In fact, the system in the last 365 days has supplied 84.5% of our the entire electrical energy requirements, and this was through a COVID-19 winter in Melbourne with four people living in the house for months on end 24/7 and with two of them working from home with their computers and millions of gadgets being recharged at any given moment. As the youngies have moved out, we are back to two people, so we'll see what the next winter is like.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 27 Dec 2021, 18:34

"as there had been some additions, both actual and configuration wise, the insurance details needed to be adjusted."

Great,

Thanks for clarifying Mick. I sniffed an ulterior motif. And a fine outcome to boot.

As for Lysaght's legacy, that is corrugated iron which at times can be the ubiquitous Aussie linearity that I enjoy playing with.

In the last 15 odd years FP4+ has been a staple for but I've never souped it in D-76. It looks a commendable combo.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”