Native raspberry leaves

John Power

Native raspberry leaves

Postby John Power » 21 Jan 2023, 19:59

G'day Crew, its been ages!

I dusted off the speed graphic today and took my dad down to the botanic gardens here in Canberra to show him the process of making images with it. We went to the rainforest gully, he got smashed by mozzies, but we came away with this image which I like a lot.
I've been enjoying a book on Eliot Porter recently, and this shot reminds me of his style a bit, even if it lacks his colour.

Anyway, I hope you are all well! My photography is still going strong, but almost always smaller formats. I'll continue to make sure to check back in here when I do expose some sheets, of course!

Symmar-S 135mm @f22, Agfa APX100 rated at 50, HC-110 dil b for 6:30 at 22c. Scanned on my V850.

ImageNative rasperries (rubus moluccanus) by J P, on Flickr

Maris

Re: Native raspberry leaves

Postby Maris » 24 Jan 2023, 09:07

Good one John Power. Native raspberry leaves is a masterclass in balanced composition. Was it a spontaneous find or very artful ikebana on your part? Those middle leaves look like beaten silver; a gorgeous tonal assignment.

John Power

Postby John Power » 24 Jan 2023, 11:43

Maris wrote:Good one John Power. Native raspberry leaves is a masterclass in balanced composition. Was it a spontaneous find or very artful ikebana on your part? Those middle leaves look like beaten silver; a gorgeous tonal assignment.

Hey, thanks for that compliment, Maris!
This was taken in situ, no disturbance to the plant at all. I love the tones and texture here, but feel I can do better with composition. I will let you know how it goes if I do go for a re-shoot.
Thanks again mate :)

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 24 Jan 2023, 13:44

John, that, as Maris mentions, is a nicely balanced picture.

Not sure if your father getting smashed by mossies quite sees this image, in the same vein as we do! :o

John Power

Postby John Power » 25 Jan 2023, 10:29

Mick Fagan wrote:John, that, as Maris mentions, is a nicely balanced picture.

Not sure if your father getting smashed by mossies quite sees this image, in the same vein as we do! :o

Cheers, Mick! I sent him the pic and he is into it... I'll try printing this at 11x14 this weekend, and hopefully send him a print too... long after the itching has subsided, he'll hopefully have something to remember his trip by :)

Return to “Things”