Unsure of the name of this plant, but..

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Unsure of the name of this plant, but..

Postby Alastair Moore » 12 Nov 2012, 22:55

I think this is the large format photograph I've taken that I'm most happy with. Not sure why, I'm just really pleased with how it turned out. I think I got the depth of field and the exposure nailed. I really like it and I'm going to make a print of it. This is the first shot I pre-visualised and it turned out exactly how I imagined it.

Sorry if I sound like I've just photographed the Mona Lisa but sometimes everything comes together :)

Of course, Flickr does something to images when they resize it or whatever they do to images so the toning is a little off and it's not as sharp as on my screen.

Nikkor-W 150mm, Ilford HP5+, Rodinal, scanned with VueScan.

Walter Glover

Re: Unsure of the name of this plant, but..

Postby Walter Glover » 13 Nov 2012, 08:22

It feels good when you can first start to realise your ideas, dunnit?
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 13 Nov 2012, 10:53

It's a Cotton Palm; one of the Washingtonia species. Possibly a young Washingtonia filifera.

Glad that your hard work's paying off. As Walter puts it, it feels good! IMO, nothing in photography feels quite as good as when a really good neg comes out of the soup...

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 13 Nov 2012, 14:15

great work Alastair, good exposure and sharp where it should be

I found that once I started to get previsualisation happening it lead to confidence and more successful images

to extend your pre-visualisation, how will you print this in regards to dodging and burning?
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 13 Nov 2012, 15:02

Ray Heath wrote:great work Alastair, good exposure and sharp where it should be

I found that once I started to get previsualisation happening it lead to confidence and more successful images

to extend your pre-visualisation, how will you print this in regards to dodging and burning?

It's currently being digitally printed (on my Epson 3880) as I don't yet have room for a wet printing setup (other than contact printing perhaps). I've actually recropped it on advice from someone on LFPF and that seems to work much better. I haven't thought much about dodging and burning - I suspect that will come a little further down the line in my large format photography "career"!

I will probably experiment with that on some smaller sheets of paper (currently printing this large - 13x19 paper) but one step at a time :)

Cheers all for your feedback, much appreciated!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 13 Nov 2012, 15:08

2012-Nov-13--15-22-20.jpg
2012-Nov-13--15-22-20.jpg (711.99 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

Here's the final crop and a little bit of burning.

Return to “Things”