Distorted Tank, Ravenswood.

Maris

Re: Distorted Tank, Ravenswood.

Postby Maris » 22 Jan 2013, 09:13

Andrew Nichols wrote:Sorry the the whole foundation of painting is based on magical realism.
Think religious art surrealism
And most paintings in general.
That statement really makes me think you have never seen a painting
Or only care about photos.
Maybe you just worded it wrong.
But it got up my goat.
One of the reasons photography falls by the way side is it lives in a grey area of reality. It is a copy of a copy and prone to the worst distortion and pixelated grain soaked two dimensional flatness.
Painting however expressive or abstract will always be more infinite in realism
Is because it is real
It is paint on canvas
It is fractal detail. Go take a look at a painting and look right into it. Bring a microscope to see more!
Painting has the ability to create scores from the imagination that photography can never ever capture.
But yes photography can easily capture detail that would take along time and be impossible for a painter
But paint mixed and swirled around the canvas has the infinite presence of reality. Whereas zoom into a print and you get dots

Whatever the rights or wrongs of it this is an adroit essay in what I think is the Po Mo style. The challenges it offers are couched in insistence, paradox, contradiction, and playful rhetoric; all valid tools of philosophical debate. A generation of students in the 1980's and 1990's passed their art theory courses with exegeses like this. The famous French thinkers Jean Baudrillard and Jacques Derrida would have been proud.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 22 Jan 2013, 10:12

Thats cool that you know Gordon Undy. Correct me if im wrong but he would be Australia's most successful LF photographer?

Andrew Nichols

Postby Andrew Nichols » 22 Jan 2013, 20:22

Thanks
Not sure what the po mo
Is mofo
Just shooten from the hip

I love my new love of photography
But the ease at which it can work
Makes it seem uninteresting on one level. As does its mass media overdose
Even thou it has piqued my interest in the world
But as a painter I find paint more mysterious and infinite. Also more challenging on a certain level as you are creating what you see not taking what you see
But as a photographer I find meeting a woman in the street and saying would you take your clothes of so I can photograph you quite interesting when they say yes.

I love capturing things. Like storms
And people on the street in a their detail

But I find photography is so fixed
You get used to expressing yourself in painting moving things around
Splashing paint

Return to “Things”