Xanthorrhea

Maris

Xanthorrhea

Postby Maris » 15 Jul 2014, 11:46

Xanthorrhea, National Botanical Gardens.

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.6cm X 19.6cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 100 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a 610mm f9 Apo-Nikkor lens.
Signed, titled, and stamped verso.

The 610mm f9 Apo-Nikkor lens is not fitted with a shutter so the 2 second exposure was executed by removing and replacing the lenscap. Lens aperture was f128 and the small amount of image diffraction is negligible for an 8x10 contact photograph.

Walter Glover

Re: Xanthorrhea

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Jul 2014, 09:36

So much to like with this Maris,

Those Nikkor Process lenses were something else again. I don't have one now, but did have some years ago. And they were in magnificent green felt lined wooden boxes - all custom made.

This weekend I shall be out to try out a new Nikkor-M 450 that I just bought. I doubt I'll be blessed with finding anything as sharp as this image because strong winds are predicted.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 18 Jul 2014, 11:30

My 610mm f9 Apo-Nikkor came in a rough cardboard box via eBay from someone breaking up an old print and repro shop. The seller didn't even call it a lens so it was missed by folks who trawl the 'bay for bargains. I paid $100 which I think is an egregious gift. Most similar repro lenses like the Apo-Ronar have a focal length of 600mm but Americans apparently wanted a "full size" 24 inch lens and weren't prepared to tolerate something that was 10mm too short. So Nippon Kogaku obliged them and made and sold a lot of 610mm very expensive ($$$) lenses.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 24 Jul 2014, 08:06

Thats a great looking image Maris but what long arms you must have doing close up work with a 610mm lens.

Walter I just got a 450 Nikkor too, hope your tripod is solid...

Maris

Postby Maris » 24 Jul 2014, 15:48

Fortunately the Tachihara 810HD camera I use is the triple extension version (840mm of bellows!) which features focussing by moving the back as well as the front. So I don't need long arms to get things sharp. Changing the aperture does involve a walk to the front of the camera and then a walk back to the ground glass to see how things look and maybe another walk to try another aperture. The tripod used was a Velbon Carmagne 740, all nice magnesium alloy and carbon fibre, that is plenty stable...but only on a still day. Trying to shoot 8x10 with nearly a yard of bellows hangin' out on a windy day is a losing proposition no matter what tripod.

Return to “Things”