Postby alex gard » 09 Apr 2014, 14:50

Not sure if I can post ebay vendors, but I've had luck with:

cheapshotsau
pbarcelon

both in Aus, seemingly good prices and good product range

Walter Glover

Re: Film suppliers

Postby Walter Glover » 09 Apr 2014, 19:11

Cheapshots is my number one supplier these days.

Vanbar was good for the T-Max films in 4x5 but an enquiry last week revealed that one the supply of 50 sheet boxes for $88 are gone the new importer will be setting prices as high as $280 or more.

In a word: stuff 'em!
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Nathan Everett

Postby Nathan Everett » 09 Apr 2014, 19:52

I can also vouch for cheapshotsau on eBay - I've dealt with Steven quite a few times buying both 120 and 4x5 and have never had a problem. Like Walter I used to buy my 4x5 Tmax from Vanbar but won't anymore as the price is obscene, I still have a few boxes of 50 sheets left but once those are gone who knows...

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 09 Apr 2014, 22:00

I thought TMax was the only film you should use until I tried Ilford.

Don't think I'll be going back to Kodak anytime soon.

I had one issue with cheapshots, I ordered a cpl of boxes and they took about a month to arrive. dunno what happened, but apparently every now and again there's a glitch in the matrix, even so, I've never not received an order.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 11 Apr 2014, 07:53

I've been having a play with (4x5) Fomapan400 and so far it seem quite a respectable film.

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 11 Apr 2014, 16:08

I wrongly dismissed foma 100 as a crappy film until I did a roll myself in 1:100 r09.
I used that roll for the "bad" reciprocity characteristics in medium format and not having to stop down as much to make a long exposure. I can't remember but I think this was metered at like 8 seconds which turns into a 56 second exposure (thankyou iphone app!)

I got one shot out of it that I was really pleased with. I know this isn't LF (it's 120) but I was really impressed at how it came out, was expecting it to be really washed out. this is scanned, no editing except a couple of dust spots cleaned up

I have no 'experience' to really base my beliefs off, I just dismissed foma because it was so cheap, thought it would be like that shanghai gp3 stuff. I'm still a noob, just finding my feet. But shouldn't be so quick to dismiss things without lots of trial.

Now after that roll of Foma, I keep meaning to buy some in sheet film, winner on a budget as well as a great tool for long exposures, which I love, but need more practice at. Especially when you have your lens on a LF stopped right down, less of a need to stack a heap of ND filters over it.. :P

The only thing I don't like about ilford roll film is how hard it is to load onto a spindle, but 4x5 ilford, to me, is a lot easier to handle than tmax, which is a bitch to load IMO

Nathan Everett

Postby Nathan Everett » 13 Apr 2014, 16:01

It'll be hard to find someone with a bad word against Delta 100, my only issue with it is the price - at Vanbar it's $64 for 25 sheets with Tmax 100 $88 for 50 sheets. I personally preferred using Tmax as it seemed to produce better results with more apparent contrast, especially with filter combinations such as polariser + red (I think Walter once told me it was more red sensitive?). For those interested Vanbar is still selling the Tmax 100 at the old price. For now...

alex.otter

Postby alex.otter » 06 Dec 2016, 07:01

vanbarphoto has a good feedback.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 06 Dec 2016, 10:28

alex.otter wrote:vanbarphoto has a good feedback.

Purchases from Vanbar are now interstate, though. They closed their Sydney operation a couple of years ago.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Resources”