why do you take photos

andrewch59

why do you take photos

Postby andrewch59 » 19 Mar 2015, 00:19

I am new to large format photography, after collecting magic lanterns, and their slides for years, I happened upon an old Perken son and Rayment camera and that frosted screen intrigued me. Later I made a deal on a Marion Studio camera and got it very cheap with three film holders and the romance began. It wasn't so much taking fantastic faultless photos, I don't, but using equipment that was made half way through the 1800's. The difference between a Marion and Deardorff is something, but then add the effect of a Jamin, a wolly velostigmat or 19 inch sigmar and the simplest item around the house suddenly becomes a work of art. Most times I just peer through the GG and become entranced by the magic.
Jim Galli's photography site is a daily place of hommage for me.

Why do you take photos ?

Walter Glover

Re: why do you take photos

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Mar 2015, 05:50

I became an addict at the age of 7 and photography has remained my narcotic of choice to this day. The cold turkey of of not succumbing to the drives of my addiction are intolerable.

My particular drug of choice is working with a fully adjustable precision large format camera with a large ground glass which I term roadside television.

But it is not just about the kit. It is about a medium of expression to formulate and visually articulate my view of the world.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

andrewch59

Postby andrewch59 » 19 Mar 2015, 12:21

Thanks Walter, its inteteresting to hear what drives the individual.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 19 Mar 2015, 14:06

Because I can't draw :)

Not really. For me, photography is the right combination of art and science - it has a technical side which appeals to my geeky/technical nature and a creative side which I don't directly get the opportunity to exercise at work. But it's become more than that, much like Walter describes, it is an addition and rarely a day passes by when I'm not taking a photograph, looking at a photograph or thinking about photography. We all have our vices and I guess photography (and single malt whisky) is mine.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Mar 2015, 19:37

Yummo!!! On the subject of addictions ...... a good single malt.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

AlbertLabrador

Postby AlbertLabrador » 19 Mar 2015, 20:36

Gives me an excuse to get out and about, to observe the mundane, and to interact, all the while hiding behind the camera.

Return to “Community Chat”