Happy New Year fellow LFers.

Walter Glover

Happy New Year fellow LFers.

Postby Walter Glover » 01 Jan 2018, 07:40

Here's to a richly rewarding year ahead for all of us with a great deal more activity and participation from me — both photographically,m and on the forum.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: Happy New Year fellow LFers.

Postby Maris » 01 Jan 2018, 10:44

Walter, you'd be a cert for lots of stunning pictures now that you've got that fancy Horseman 45FA camera. May your creative resources never be stolen from you again. I want to see what you achieve.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 05 Jan 2018, 06:27

Thanks Maris,
Yes, I am time poor at the moment and so I have only ventured out 3 times to shoot so far. So I have 6 sheets to process which, in likelihood, will happen tomorrow morning.
Those occasions have been a great opportunity to learn and hone the intricacies of the little Sweet FA. I have been using a quite small, light tripod but have switched to a heavier twin-shank number because the Sweet FA does not have a lifting bail for inserting and removing double-darks and the little one can jiggle about a bit more than I like. The last Toyo I had didn't have a lifting bail either, but on the series 4 Gitzo it was no great issue.
I see the distinct possibility that when time and funds permit I may well do a switcheroo back to a Toyo. The Horseman really is very small and some things are quite fiddly as a result. Time will tell. The thing of most importance is that after the theft at least I have restored a capability once more. The present quest may well be the acquisition of another Nikkor-SW 75mm. But I am so enthused by the 135mm focal length. IT is all I have used thus far.

Cheers,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 05 Jan 2018, 11:26

That's a sharp observation about the non-rigidity of light weight cameras. The Linhof Master Technika which I used to have always felt solid on a tripod even without a bail opening back. The Toyo 45G monorail I use occasionally has a bail back and its stability on a decent tripod is never in question BUT the little wooden Tachihara 45GF I use the most wriggles quite a bit when the film holder goes in and comes out.

To allay anxiety I fixed a mirror on the front of the Tachi and directed a laser pointer at it. The reflected spot jumped about when the film holder was inserted but then settled back (in about 1 second) to where it was initially. No more worries. I'd bet the Horseman FA works just as well or better!

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 05 Jan 2018, 15:37

The rear bellows on that camera makes operating a 75 or wider lens fairly easy without the need for bag bellows, also keeps wide angle lens with big rear elements from the ground glass.

Pretty neat camera.

Mick.

Return to “Community Chat”