Saying hello

AlbertLabrador

Saying hello

Postby AlbertLabrador » 03 May 2020, 04:13

The lockdown has given me the opportunity to unpack my Wista dx. I’ve had it over 10 years now and have put less than 10 sheets of film through it. I finally got to develop the very first shots last week. The undeveloped negs have been in the fridge since 2009. Two rather thin negs of half dome in Yosemite and another better looking pair of a river in the same park. No scanner or darkroom so no prints yet. Film both scares and intrigues me. Scared because I’m not methodical enough yet. Intrigued because the tones are so much better than digital. But I have two new boxes of FP4 to start practising again and a five year target to get good enough to embark on a series of portraits of locals. I’m looking forward to engaging more with the forum.

Barry Kirsten

Re: Saying hello

Postby Barry Kirsten » 03 May 2020, 15:10

Hello Albert and welcome to the Forum. This is a quiet little place but inhabited by some very accomplished and supportive photographers. I'm sure you'll get a lot of help if you but ask. I know film photography can be a bit intimidating, especially when you jump into the deep end with a 4x5! I think that's very commendable. But as you've probably worked out already, there's nothing like it. Any mug can point a digital camera and press a button, which is nothing compared to making your own images from start to finish. Looking forward to seeing your work when you get set up.

Barry

Return to “Community Chat”