Observations on staying home.

Maris

Observations on staying home.

Postby Maris » 28 May 2020, 11:15

I must say I'm not enjoying being part of a vulnerable age group while an invisible virus lurks outside. And the cameras have not seen daylight since February. So what to do? Answer: clean up the archive and scan more photographs to turn them into screen-lookers that can be flung into cyberspace.
The little $49.00 A4 flatbed scanner I got from ALDI still works so off I go. It takes about 10 minutes to cook up a scan, strain it through an old version of Photoshop that a friend set up for me, and get a screen picture that looks like the actual print held up next to it.

I'm up to 375 scans so far with lots to go; boring but virtuous work. I now have sympathy for those hard working film users who must scan negatives to get a positive to look at. Maybe Bazz8 is right in his post "The Print is what matters". Maybe it's all just pictures anyway. Just belly-aching.

Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Observations on staying home.

Postby Oscar » 29 May 2020, 23:13

During the lockdown I used my 8x10 in our home studio, but I fast ran out of inspiration there :)

Last weekend I took my 4x5 out for a quick architectural shoot on a quiet Sunday morning, that's the first time I've used my LF gear away from home since these troubles began. Hopefully I'll get into the darkroom tomorrow to print from those negs.

As for you "flinging into cyberspace" your "screen-lookers", we appreciate your efforts. 375 is substantial!

Warmtone

Re: Observations on staying ho

Postby Warmtone » 14 Aug 2020, 11:59

Yes it’s bloody frustrating being locked down yet again in Melbourne.
But I suppose I am lucky to be able to work from home and not have financial pressures.

2020 has been a very strange year, with the worldwide geopolitical tensions, Covid 19 and the passing of Richard White.
it seems the rest of the year will just evaporate with everyone in survival mode.
But On the positive analogue photography is seeing a resurgence if the prices on eBay are any indication. Even my Toyo 8x10g is now worth good money while 5 year old digital cameras bring zilch!

I have decided to use my spare time to re-start the large format photography Journey being well aware that time is running out For me at 69.
Also to start archiving the work I have done over the years and maybe finally post a few images on this site for amusement.

Last week I received the “ Film developing cookbook” And can recommend it for some really interesting reading for those who like to mix their own developers.

I just noticed some 10x8 Film holders I last loaded with FP4......2016(!)
Time to get moving - if only to photograph the back yard!

Walter Glover

Re: Observations on staying home.

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Aug 2020, 06:57

There's a whole school of thought that sings the praises of the wealth of potential in your own backyard, Warmtone, but for an inveterate neo-topographical devotee like me the itch to roam is mighty powerful.
Mind you, lockdown or no lockdown, getting out and about now necessitates at least one accomplice. But I have had plenty of time and inspiration to design in detail how to continue to function shooting 4x5 using the motorised wheelchair as a camera platform. Film processing will happen at a commercial lab, and I have my scanner here ready to be set up. I'll be buggered if I'll opt for the siren call of digital other than iPhone pics of stuff to flog on Ebay. For commercial expediency my hand was forced to use digital and it is simply not what I think of as the photography that I want to engafe in.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Community Chat”