More Fujifilm ending

John Power

More Fujifilm ending

Postby John Power » 15 Oct 2021, 19:46

Taken from BS Kumar on large format film photography form

Fujifilm today announced that Velvia 50 4x5 and 8x10 and Fujicolor 160NS Professional 120 has been discontinued.
Sales are expected to end on these dates:
Fujicolor 160NS Professional March 2022
Fujichrome VELVIA50 4 x 5 March 2023
Fujichrome VELVIA50 8 × 10 December 2021

The official announcement is here: https://www.fujifilm.com/ffis/ja/news/92

Walter Glover

Re: More Fujifilm ending

Postby Walter Glover » 15 Oct 2021, 21:12

Masters of infanticide. They gave birth to two of the most amazing emulsions and suddenly killed off Acros and Astia years ago nothing much else has mattered since then. I've never thought much of their other stocks, but thanks for the heads up.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

John Power

Postby John Power » 16 Oct 2021, 11:04

Yeah, right! I never used acros, but acros ii is expensive and (for me) only decent. I like 160ns in 120 though, especially for portraits, its a nice alternative to portra 160.

I will probably get some e6 and velvia 4x5.
I'd hate to day that I missed out on ever shooting an LF landscape on velvia!

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 23 Oct 2021, 14:44

I think that this time around, the reduction in available films is driven by the unavailability of chemicals, not the economic feasibility.

Kodak, Fuji and Ilford have been heavily hit by chemicals and base product no longer available due to EU regulations. To a much lesser extent, Adox also had some supply issues, but as far as I know they are now running along quite nicely.

In the business world for some years now, chemical companies worldwide have been changing mainly due to new, read; restrictive laws coming into being. This has been felt the most in the EU market, which, along with the US market, are the biggest colour film markets going.

Kodak had the ability to become one of the worlds biggest chemical manufacturers, their patent list read like a who's who of inventions.

Fuji also had an incredible list of chemicals that they invented and manufactured, by utilising this inventory of stock lines and inventions, they have re-invented themselves mainly as a chemical company manufacturer and supplier. Film manufacturing is super important to them, mainly as a legacy product and how they made their name and fortune, but they decided not to manufacture anything, unless it made money, or at worst, was revenue neutral. This has been a tough thing, but it meant the company as a whole, survived and is thriving.

Last time I was in Germany, I had a lengthy discussion with one of my wife's nephews. He lives in Germany but works in Switzerland, has a doctorate in chemistry and works for a huge chemical company. He also knows a few people who worked for Fuji and Kodak in their respective chemical R&D departments; everyone in the chemical manufacturing business is in the same boat, as far as I understood him. Meaning products sometimes disappear because of legislation changes in one or more markets, whether they are liked or not.

Neopan 100 (Acros) is a wonderful product, but Neopan 400 was brilliant. However if you look at my film refrigerator, they are both still brilliant!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 26 Oct 2021, 01:27

"Meaning products sometimes disappear because of legislation changes in one or more markets, whether they are liked or not."

Vis a vis Schneider and glass component restrictions leading to the 'L' series Apo-Symmars.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

mark.darragh

Postby mark.darragh » 09 Nov 2021, 16:26

Thanks for sharing your insights, Mick. Your observations are particularly helpful to understanding the future of film coating and manufacturing given how little information the "big two" are prepared to release.

JackRussel

Postby JackRussel » 23 Dec 2021, 19:26

Walter Glover wrote:"Meaning products sometimes disappear because of legislation changes in one or more markets, whether they are liked or not."

Often a good product is superseded by legislation or some invented principle. Sometimes it is only in old warehouses that we can find the right thing.

Return to “Community Chat”