Site Administrator Policy: Caption and Description..

Maris

Site Administrator Policy: Caption and Description..

Postby Maris » 16 Oct 2012, 09:57

I keep getting stunned by the imagination and vision of images that populate this site. And at times I feel like organising an appointment to see the pictures even if it includes a flight to Sydney or Melbourne and a (budget) hotel room for the duration. Air travel is cheap these days and it is commonplace for art lovers to travel to a distant city for a block-buster exhibition or even to look at the works of a master.

But, and it is a big but, I can't be sure the images have material existence. They may be no more than electronic files that look the same on my monitor here in Noosa as they would look on a monitor in Sydney. If I keep asking posters on this site what their images are I may become a nuisance or even come across as impolite. On the other had it may be construed as insensitive to viewer interest if a poster merely puts up an unknown picture on a like it or lump it basis.

What do you say to a policy of requiring a basic caption and description for all posted pictures? We (I?) surely deserve to know if the thing illustrated on the monitor screen is an electronic file, a platinotype photograph, a gelatin-silver, a wet plate, or something else wonderful and strange.

Ray Heath

Re: Site Administrator Policy: Caption and Description..

Postby Ray Heath » 16 Oct 2012, 10:10

Great idea Maris.

I prefer the "realness" of prints.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 16 Oct 2012, 10:13

I think this is probably a good idea and I need to do so more myself. Let's encourage this and I'm going to go back and edit my images to add a bit more information.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 16 Oct 2012, 11:06

Ditto ^^^^^^^

I personally would never consider your queries as a nuisance.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Oct 2012, 08:29

Maris,

I have just gone through the handful of images I have posted here and added the relevant details.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Community Chat”