You're going to love this...

Walter Glover

Re: You're going to love this...

Postby Walter Glover » 15 Nov 2014, 08:59

Thanks Alastair, I needed that witty accompaniment to my morning pot o' rosie.

I must admit, it is a desperately long time since I saw, in Sydney, a photo show that took my breath away. But to cast such a wide and poorly articulated aspersion seems little more than the plight of the agent provocateur.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Nathan Everett

Postby Nathan Everett » 15 Nov 2014, 20:55

The journo forgot to add that sculptures can only be hand chiseled from single piece of white marble and tapestries are only legitimate if sewn in Medieval Europe...

Maris

Postby Maris » 16 Nov 2014, 13:31

If Jonathan Jones got past mistaking "pictures"for "photographs"maybe he would not be so glib in dismissing the capacity of photographs to deliver:

A rich and inventive visual experience which gives great scope for idiosyncratic vision.
A picture validated and empowered by its physical (not virtual) relationship to what it purports to describe.
An example of high level personal hands-on craft not available in pictures fabricated by computer controlled machines.
An opportunity to celebrate the investment of precious materials, silver, palladium, platinum, in the service of art.
An opportunity to chuckle at the envy of painters who crave accurate depiction but can't draw.

On that last point consider the Archibald Prize for portraiture. The rules insist the portrait must be painted from life but everybody from the trustees on down know the portraits are worked up from photographs. In today's Sydney Morning Herald we have Vincent Fantauzzo, a multiple Archibald People's Choice winner, saying that the fact that no one ever sees the original photographs is licence for him to use them. Huh? Painter envy indeed!

Jonathan Jones maybe just another one of those who think digital picture-making is photography. Millions might say it's so every day but that does not make it true. Yeah, and lead pencils don't have any lead in them either.

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 13 Dec 2014, 15:17

"A photograph in a gallery is a flat, soulless, superficial substitute for painting."

I scoffed.

This piece reads like a 15 year old kid. Standards of journalism and editorial in the mainstream media is slipping hard and fast. What an absolute load of wank. I can't believe they even published this, it's a real "going nowhere" article.

Return to “Community Chat”