FS: Schneider 5.6/58 Super Angulon XL

Geoff Roberts

FS: Schneider 5.6/58 Super Angulon XL

Postby Geoff Roberts » 18 Nov 2012, 20:36

Selling my Schneider 5.6/58 Super Angulon XL. It's in mint condition, I have not used it much as it is simply too wide for me. The image circle is 166mm, covering 4x5 with movements. I have found that a small movement makes a big difference with this lens, and the image quality is stunning. It's in a Copal 0 shutter, the shutter speeds all sound correct.

Front and rear caps are included, but the lens board is not.

Asking $1,000. These retails for around $2k, and this lens is as new.

Walter Glover

Re: FS: Schneider 5.6/58 Super Angulon XL

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Nov 2012, 05:20

Let me chime in with a comment on just how good the 58mm is. When my architecture work was based on film using 4x5 sheets and roll-film back my world centred around the 35mm (Rodenstock) and the 47mm and 58mm Schneiders. The 58mm was pick of the bunch in terms of image quality.

I even find it somewhat tempting myself.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 19 Nov 2012, 21:51

Walter Glover wrote:Let me chime in with a comment on just how good the 58mm is. When my architecture work was based on film using 4x5 sheets and roll-film back my world centred around the 35mm (Rodenstock) and the 47mm and 58mm Schneiders. The 58mm was pick of the bunch in terms of image quality.

I even find it somewhat tempting myself.

Sorry for somewhat highjacking the thread, but I thought it might be worthwhile pointing some characteristics of 58xl which might be important if one decided to purchase this lens for architectural use.

The 47XL and the 58XL lenses are designed to just cover a 4x5 sheet of film, thus cannot be used with camera movements. If one needs extensive camera movements on 4x5' film with a wide angle (which might readily be employed in architectural photography) I would highly recommend the 72XL...its a stunner... My only wish for this lens is that it had a smaller front filter thread.

Having said this, I am sure the 58XL is a stunner in its own right, just keep in mind you will not be able to use movements with it. Good luck with the sale, I wish I had it in my bag =)

Geoff Roberts

Postby Geoff Roberts » 08 Jul 2013, 19:19

A little movement makes a big difference with this lens. Bump.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 09 Jul 2013, 04:31

The 58mm is a cracker and I have to say it is quite tempting. For many years the 47mm and the 58mm were almost my standard lenses. The 47mm was very tight on image circle but the 58 never fell short in daily use.

Geoff, can I ask what you are leaving yourself with to work? I have a comprehensive range of focal lengths but these days I seldom use much else but the 150mm outdoors and the 210mm in the studio. I bought a 240mm which has never been fired in anger as yet.

I recall a great shot you did a while back of a back fence with the 58mm. The drawing of that lens in the shot generated pangs of nostalgia.

Is it time to catch up for another coffee?
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Geoff Roberts

Postby Geoff Roberts » 09 Jul 2013, 16:56

Geoff, can I ask what you are leaving yourself with to work?

Hi Walter,

I am hoping to buy an apartment soon, hence the massive sell off. There's more to be listed to.....Some lenses I will repurchase at a later date. My primary lens is a 110mm Super Symmar XL and I could get by with just this one lens. I have started carrying a 240mm Sironar S recently which I am enjoying. So I am justifying down to two lenses, and possibly even one! But the 240 is not up for sale quite yet.

I recall a great shot you did a while back of a back fence with the 58mm. The drawing of that lens in the shot generated pangs of nostalgia

Thanks Walter, it's a great lens but one I don't use much. I very rarely require a lens this wide, but I am always impressed when I do use it. It is a cracker.

Yep, lets meet for a coffee soon, I have a bit of time this week if you're free.

Geoff Roberts

Postby Geoff Roberts » 01 May 2014, 12:17

Back up for sale, I had decided to hold onto it but it hasn't seen any use.

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 01 May 2014, 20:10

Dropping a placeholder.

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”