xray film a technical discussion and image sharing

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
andrewch59

xray film a technical discussion and image sharing

Postby andrewch59 » 20 Apr 2017, 11:53

I guess rather than taking up space in Baz's pinhole thread I will start a new thread, hopefully alerting people interested in the alternate printing stream to the use of xray film for image capture. Its cheaper and if you are up for a challenge this would be it.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=462
Its lost a bit of shadow minimizing from 300mb
Attachments
queen mary falls.jpg

andrewch59

Re: xray film a technical discussion and image sharing

Postby andrewch59 » 21 Apr 2017, 06:50

forgotten jpg.jpg

andrewch59

Postby andrewch59 » 21 Apr 2017, 06:56

warwick church jpg.jpg

Fear not, this is the last one I put up, unless there is some interest.
Yes I realize I have put this thread in the wrong category. I have asked the administrator if it can be moved to film.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 21 Apr 2017, 20:39

Well I'm interested, except I don't use X/Ray film, I do though, have almost 100 sheets of Ilford orthochromatic A3 sized sheet film that I used on my reprographic camera in another life last century. I have been meaning to cut some down to 4x5" and have a go with it in a pictorial sense. However, since retiring, I really do have an issue with spare time, there isn't any.

I don't think being in the wrong place is much of an issue, I always click "new posts" then look at whatever comes up.

I find the bush picture is very interesting, especially the water tank being where it is and how you have framed everything.

Mick.

andrewch59

Postby andrewch59 » 22 Apr 2017, 06:03

Hi Mick, I don't use ortho myself, but here is an extract from someone else's quote
"I've been experimenting with Orthe film for a couple of months, and totally love the look for portraiture. Adox Ortho 25 for MF and Ilford Orthe Plus (asa 80) for LF. all I can say is WOW! These are both contrasty, but easily tamed with proper filteration, and development. Be forwarned, unfiltered ortho will render blue sky as white, almost blown out, and miserable to deal with, but brought under total control with a green filter. Red filters have zero effect, as there is no red sensitivity. Yellow, green and blue , are all you need. I havent used a polarizer as yet, but I dont see where it would be any different than with panchromatic film. The main thing I like about ortho, is handling under red safelight without any fogging. I can load and develope without having to go lights out."

The Bush scene, was taken from a paddock close to home, I saw it and took the shot, nothing has been manipulated. The pic has had sepia toning added and vignetted around the edging, just to make the subject standout.
I use a circular office guillotine I bought from Aldi to cut my film down, don't see why it wouldn't work for ortho. Just put some stops at the different lengths you need to make your size. So it is easy to feel under red light. It does sound like it may be fun to try.
Regards Andrew

andrewch59

Postby andrewch59 » 22 Apr 2017, 06:11

Mick, just for your info
The first shot was taken with a Super Angulon 90mm f5.6 at f22, six seconds
The other two were taken using a Horseman Topcor 210mm f5.6

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 22 Apr 2017, 06:48

I'm keen to try Ilford Ortho also; I've heard good things about it. There's a guy on the other LF forum who swears by ortho films. In fact there's a thread there (I think) devoted to ortho film. If I can find it I'll post a reference. Those are very nice images Andrew. My feeling generally about photography is that camera, lens, film, development, printing methods etc. are all secondary to the image. If the image stands on its own merit, it's immaterial how it was produced.

andrewch59

Postby andrewch59 » 22 Apr 2017, 07:21

Barry, I think the famous Jim Galli also uses ortho film a lot.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 22 Apr 2017, 09:09

Andrew, I didn't know about the types of filtration suitable for lithographic orthochromatic films that allow one to get a more pictorial effect.

As I have Green, Cyan and yellow filters in 67mm size for all of my Fujinon lenses, it will be very easy to have a go, all I need is to cut down some sheets, add an emulsion side notch and I could be away.

In another life, I used to do photocopying of line drawings using 4x5" and 8x10" Toyo monorails (as opposed to xerography). Processing was done using a roller transport machine and when you had ½ a dozen double dark slide film holders being unloaded and placed into the processing machine, you needed to ensure you had the emulsion side facing the right way when you loaded the film holder to start with; very, very easy to make a mistake.

Cutting a film notch worked a treat, been doing that ever since whenever we cut down lithographic film for use on anything other than in a reprographic camera. Saves pulling out a scalpel or knife to gouge the film in red light to see which side is the emulsion; I found out the hard way that not all film is shiny on the back side.

I do need some spare time though. :D

I will be off for a trip starting next week, returning in July. Allowing for the dust to settle and for me to develop and/or print my films, I should be good for another fun project in August/September, might have a go then.

Mick.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 22 Apr 2017, 09:14

Barry, perhaps something can be organised in late Winter or early Spring, for a bit of a fiddle with orthochromatic film.

Just don't expect much, if any input from me, before July though, I basically won't have net access for a couple of months.

Mick.

Return to “The Camera”