Imagon Lens

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
Maris

Imagon Lens

Postby Maris » 31 Mar 2018, 12:22

I've just acquired a huge Rodenstock Imagon 1:5.8 F=42cm Tiefenbildner lens. It comes mounted in a Zettor leaf shutter with the shutter body itself about 18cm across. And it has the sieve diaphragms H 5.8 to 7.7, H 7.7 to 9.5, and H 9.5 to 11.5. It's supposed to be the Imagon intended for the 8x10 format.
I know, I know I should just experiment to gain experience with what the lens can do but the 8x10 format gets expensive very fast. Any tips and tricks you may have to get me quick, easy, nice results would be much appreciated. Will post results here if half decent.

Walter Glover

Re: Imagon Lens

Postby Walter Glover » 31 Mar 2018, 21:37

Wonderful news Maris,

What can be better than new and unusual kit to explore and make discoveries?

I'll give some detailed observation after I have slept and rise to find I have a spare hour I didn't have today.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 02 Apr 2018, 15:59

Here's a picture of the Rodenstock Imagon 1:5.8 42cm with the Zettor shutter partially open. I've never seen another one like this and I suspect it is a custom engineered one-off.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 05 Apr 2018, 04:46

That looks like a matter of civil engineering like a shopping centre or and office block. Bloody H U G S !
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 12 Apr 2018, 04:40

Well, at last I get around to putting my Imagon opinions down! Never been so busy and short of time as since I have been retired?????

Back in the day I often used the Zeiss Softars with their little pimples that formed separate overlapping images in the frame and rendering a glow in hightlights. Particularly with 3/4 backlight or rim lighting. It was said at the time that the Softars gave an Imagon effect.

Year later, when I had an Imagon in the hope of an outcome similar or even better. Close, perhaps, but really no cigar.

As I've said, I also had a Kodak Commercial portrait lens which proved immensely informative. It did not have the kitchen collander aperture discs and so when working with the Imagon I left off the aperture disks, essentially using the lens wide open with the image formed by the entire optic and not just the localised sweet spot.

Those sieves can do funny things to highlights which I am not sure that I am all that enamoured of. Left on its own, the Imagon renders a lovely look which smacks of being somewhat 'vintage' which I like. (Although, not as much as the Kodak albeit the Kodak was used on 8x10 and the Imagon was on 4x5).

I mention this because when it comes to 'soft focus' I feel that the results are enhanced by the enhanced smoothness of tonal rendering afforded by image real estate.

I not only envy you your 8x10, Maris, and your Imagon, I also evy the ability, these days, of lugging such kit and functioning. Walking sticks and vertigo are not ideal bedfellows to such endeavours.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 12 Apr 2018, 04:57

Let's see if I can remember how to do this!

This was the last imagon shot I did (on 4x5) with the last Imagon I owned. No filter disk.

Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “The Camera”