A Thought About What We Do

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
Walter Glover

A Thought About What We Do

Postby Walter Glover » 12 Nov 2019, 09:23

“Photography is much more about being .... seeing .... doing .... showing up .... than it is about setting menu options."
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Re: A Thought About What We Do

Postby Barry Kirsten » 04 Dec 2019, 09:47

G'day dear friend,

I've thought about replying since you posted this thought. I think it's fair to say that most LF photographers would agree that modern photography with its focus on digital devices and processes is pointless, although there are some who seem to have a foot in each camp, using both digital and film, which I don't understand. For me, I seem to be going further back in time, seeking a 'look' in my images which even if it can be produced digitally just goes against the grain for me to do so. I find myself working simpler and simpler as time goes on. I don't use the zone system any more, not consciously anyway, and my spot meter seldom gets an outing now. Over the last 5-6 years I've been re-exploring pinhole photography with rewarding (to me) results. So this is my journey - to each his own, of course - but you'll never catch me setting digital menus. The image below was done on my latest pinhole camera. 5x7 Kodak double-sided x-ray film at ASA 100, 15 sec exposure, Pyrocat HD. I built the camera with +/- 25mm horizontal shift, mainly for vertical compositions as used here. I'm pleased with the result: it reminds me a bit of the Cazneaux tree.

I do hope you're well Walter and enjoying your new Sinar. All the best to you.

Barry
Tree, Djerriwarrh Creek.jpg

Return to “The Camera”