The 8x10 is ready to see duty .....

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
Walter Glover

Re: The 8x10 is ready to see duty .....

Postby Walter Glover » 27 Sep 2012, 09:28

Well, after much deliberation over recent weeks I have resolved that the Sinar 8x10 rig and 360mm lens will stay and be pressed into service.

One of my muses will be available to shoot come November and another from the US of A will be here December. I have a new motif to pursue and will get the necessary additions for the studio in the meantime and may even engage another local muse as a sort of a test, or look-see.

Meanwhile I'll keep my eye out for a nice Toyo at the right price and then the Sinar might go.

It was so nostalgic watching SALT again on Tuesday night and seeing Muzza out shooting with my old Toyo that I sold him.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Andrew Nichols

Postby Andrew Nichols » 17 Dec 2012, 21:01

Hi Walter
I am a fellow sinar user and am looking to get a toyo 108 as they seem solid in the field.
It's interesting you sold murry his camera, I was talking to him about buying it!
Last edited by Andrew Nichols on 17 Dec 2012, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Dec 2012, 21:05

Walter Glover wrote:Well, after much deliberation over recent weeks I have resolved that the Sinar 8x10 rig and 360mm lens will stay and be pressed into service.

One of my muses will be available to shoot come November and another from the US of A will be here December. I have a new motif to pursue and will get the necessary additions for the studio in the meantime and may even engage another local muse as a sort of a test, or look-see.

Meanwhile I'll keep my eye out for a nice Toyo at the right price and then the Sinar might go.

It was so nostalgic watching SALT again on Tuesday night and seeing Muzza out shooting with my old Toyo that I sold him.

Would you get rid of the Sinar? I don't think I'd get rid of my Cambo monorail. I might not use it that often since getting my Toyo but I'm positive there are occasions that I might use it. I'd actually prefer a Sinar as my Cambo is a bit basic as far as monorails go but it weighs nothing, at least. But I would like a more technical monorail like a Sinar (or Arca-Swiss! :P). Anyway, trying not to be greedy (but checking eBay for bargains on a Sinar all the same).

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Dec 2012, 21:34

Alastair,

The Sinar stays and, for the moment, so too does the Linhof. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Nothing comes close to the Sinar for precision and it is probably the ultimate system camera. The Linhof, on the other hand, is quite limited and has a multitude of shortcomings. But it is handy and it is extremely accurately set-up. In a day or so I expect a 135mm Sinaron SE to turn up in the post and that may just stay permanently on the Linhof as my get-around kit.

I worked in the studio last Thursday with the Sinar and it was heaven. My little Yankee muse didn't hurt either.

I used Cambos for years in a studio where I was on staff and they were most capable but, as you say, incredibly basic ..... and a bit sloppy.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Dec 2012, 21:48

Both my Cambos are, as you say, sloppy (the 4x5 and 8x10) but they certainly work. I don't think I'd want to use either of them for any precision work but as far as a box with a hole in the front of them, they do the job nicely! My Cambo 8x10 has seen more action this week than it has in the 4 months I've had it. I'm warming nicely to 8x10. Just wish I had something a bit more "compact". Could be on the look out for an 8x10 field camera perhaps but it feels like one of those will cost a fortune.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Dec 2012, 21:51

The Toyo 810M is the best field camera I have used. There is one on Ebay at present I think that is very cheap. There are also some very expensive Austrian ones.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 18 Dec 2012, 05:17

I sold a Toyo 810m as it was just too bloody heavy.

It is over 2kg heavier than a highly spec'ed timber camera (I was looking at the Shen Hao HZX810), and over 4kg more than a lightweight one. It didn't take the Sinar shutter without an adaptor (more weight), and just didn't do anything more/better than a decent wooden camera.

I also dislike rear base tilt, and I found the front shift is a sloppy design.

Just my opinion on my experiences with it.

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 24 Jan 2013, 08:48

Walter,

I have not played around with a sinar, but from what I have heard if you are looking for a step up in quality, go for an arca.

Marko

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 24 Jan 2013, 09:13

That, I am sorry to say, is a total nonsense.

The Arca is a great camera and is a bit more portable but for precision there is nothing better than the Sinar: both in its precision of manufacture and the facility of its focussing system.

For now, 4x5 is perfect for my needs. So tne 8x10 is gone.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

sharperstill

Postby sharperstill » 08 Feb 2013, 19:29

Walter,
I'd be interesting in hearing more about your mate and his alignment jig.

Jon

Return to “The Camera”